five

I sit with my family in the park for the grand picnic. Eloise has slipped away to find Penelope. I sit beside Daphne.

"I hear she may be courting with bumbling Berbrooke," Cressida remarks as she walks past. "Quite a good match for her, I rather think."

"There are many things I wish I could say to her," I confess. "Were we not bound by society's standards."

Daphne smiles slightly.

"I am rather grateful you are free from Berbrooke," I tell her. "Even if it did come about in a questionable way."

"I am relieved," Daphne tells me.

"You do not deserve a life as Berbrooke's wife," I assure her. "I do not think anyone does truly. Not even Cressida."

Anthony walks over and sits beside us. "I was not aware, sister, of what Berbrooke attempted. I would have helped you. You should have told me."

"Would you have believed me? Did you only change your mind about Lord Berbrooke because another man told you the truth?" Daphne asks.

"You truly esteem me so little?" Anthony questions.

"After I apprised you of my wishes, and you proceeded to ignore them... yes, brother, I do," Daphne says before walking away.

I spot the duke walking towards her. I hope for Daphne's sake that the duke is serious about courting her. She needs to be done with Berbrooke.

Anthony turns his attention to me.

"Benedict has told me about Lord Weston," Anthony states.

"They are friends," I remind him.

"He is an artist," Anthony states.

"An artist?" I gasp. "You know that does not matter to me."

"He does come from a good family," Anthony admits.

"A second son though," I remark.

Anthony shakes his head. "I am just looking out for you, sister."

"I know," I tell him. "But I do like Lord Weston. Perhaps you might to if you got to know him."

Anthony smiles slightly. "I have spoken to him at our club."

I look at Anthony surprised. "You have?"

"Bridgerton!" A very badly beaten Berbrooke comes rushing towards Anthony, paper in hand. "I bring cheerful news, Bridgertons. I have taken matters in my own hands and sought a special license for my wedding to Miss Bridgerton."

"There is to be no wedding," Daphne tells him.

"I told you. The arrangement is canceled," Anthony reminds him.

"Lord Berbrooke, you look in a great deal of pain. Shall we continue this in a more private location?" Mama offers.

"I require no further conversation. Though, perhaps I am finally speaking to the true head of the Bridgerton house. For if it were you, I imagine you would have instructed your sister to take better care than to encourage certain attentions while alone with me on the Dark Walk at Vauxhall. Of course, mere hearsay of such a scandal could wreak havoc on even the most influential of families. What would someone like, say, Lady Whistledown do with such unseemly information?" Berbrooke says.

"Is that a threat?" Anthony asks.

"It is certainly not. Because in three days, I am to marry. I have the diamond of the season. I have the very best the ton has to offer. I have a Bridgerton. And I shall save her, as well as your entire family, from the ruin which you could not protect them," Berbrooke says as she shoves the paper into Anthony's chest.

The duke steps forward towards Berbrooke. Benedict is quick to hold him back.

"I look forward to the union of our great families. Bridgerton. Hastings." Berbrooke walks off in a haste.