six

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

I sit in the drawing with my family.

"Daphne, have you thought about with whom you would like to dance at tonight's ball?" Mama asks.

"I have some ideas," Daphne replies. "Lord Weaver is a fine dancer."

"Lord Hardy was asking about you at White's last night," Anthony informs Daphne.

"Lord Hardy? What about the duke?" Mama asks.

"The duke has not proposed, Mama," Daphne reminds her. "I am still considering my best course."

"Wise girl," Anthony says.

"And Lord Hardy is a fine option. Although, he is rather boastful," Daphne says.

"My dear, why ever do you complicate matters so?" Mama asks. "You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend."

"Is that it, Mama?" Daphne remarks. "Well, how very simple indeed!"

"Yes, quite," Mama states.

Humboldt walks into the room.

"Has someone arrived, Humboldt?" Mama asks.

"A caller for Miss Juliette, ma'am," Humboldt tells her. "Lord Weston."

I smile as Lord Weston walks into the room with two bouquets of flowers. He gives one to mama before giving the other to me. Lord Weston and I sit on a settee together. I can feel my siblings staring at us from the other side of the room.

"You are looking well," Lord Weston states. "Benedict told me you were feeling unwell last night."

I nod my head. "I am feeling much better now."

Lord Weston smiles. "I am glad."

I can feel myself blush. "Thank you."

"Now the last time I saw you you were telling me all about the book you were reading," Lord Weston reminds me.

I nod my head. "I have since finished it."

"Do not keep me waiting," Lord Weston tells me. "I wish to hear all about it."

Another ball means another evening of Daphne and the duke dancing. Of gentlemen callers trying to get her attention and every mama in the ton trying to get the attention of the duke.

I stand off to the side with Benedict. Though I am rather distracted.

"You are looking for Weston," Benedict states.

"Is it that obvious?" I question.

Benedict laughs. "No. But I know you." I roll my eyes. "Plus West has called on you three times this week."

I smile. "I know."

"What could you possibly have to speak of for so long?" Benedict questions.

"Everything," I tell him. "And nothing."

Benedict shakes his head. "You care about him."

"I believe I do," I confess.

I turn when I hear a commotion. Her Majesty and her nephew the prince have entered the room. Every eligible young lady is practically drooling over him.