fifteen

The fastest courtship upon record occurred during the markedly wet season of 1804, when Miss Mary Leopold secured a betrothal over a plate of sugared almonds and licorice in just four and a half minutes. Of course, Miss Leopold and her new husband would leave London mere hours after their wedding. Reason unknown.

Of all that I have imparted to you, dear reader, there is but one bit of wisdom you must heed most. One can never know the truth of a marriage hiding behind closed doors. Beware indeed, blushing newlyweds. You know not the future that awaits. Will there be hardship or indignity? Or will one's future see the rarest accomplishment of all, a true love match?

As for which of these fates await the eager matches of the season of 1813, only two things will tell... Time, and, as always, this author.

Mama, Daphne, and I are walking through the flower market. Daphne and the duke are having their first ball on Friday.

"I have made my decision," Daphne informs Mama. "The duke and I are going our separate ways. It is for the best, truly."

"I know I do not always say the right things. And then the things I do say, well... They are not always what you wish to hear. I am only able to offer you what I know. However difficult forgiving someone may be, it is necessary to move forward," Mama offers.

"That is not up to me, Mama," Daphne informs her. "The duke is choosing to nurture some grudge against his father instead of allowing himself any... any kind of happiness. However am I supposed to forgive that? However are we supposed to move forward from there?"

"Your Grace?"

Lady Featherington approaches us with her housekeeper. "I do hope you are finding everything you need for Friday's ball. It will certainly be the event of the season. Of course, my young ladies will have to hear about the wondrous festivities the next day, seeing how they did not receive an invitation. Prudence, in particular, is in tears about it. Is she not, Mrs. Varley?"

"Oh! Uh... A... Absolute watering pot, that one," Mrs Varley tells us.

"Perhaps you might explain to your young ladies, Lady Featherington, how they ended up in such an unfortunate situation, and who exactly put them there," Mama says.

"Or perhaps we can make room," Daphne offers. "I certainly would have no problem extending my invitation, as I am sure all of us would like to forgive the errors of the past and move forward. Yes, Mama?"

"If that is what you wish," Mama says.

Lady Featherington smiles widely. "How wonderful!"

"Apologies, ma'am, but a carriage has arrived back at the house. A Mr. Crane is there," Mrs Varley tells Lady Featherington.

"I beg your pardon, but did you say 'Crane'?" Daphne asks. "Would that be a Sir George Crane?"

My brothers are out of the house attending another boxing match. Mama is with Daphne helping her with her ball preparations. Eloise and Francesca are upstairs. Hyacinth and Gregory are with their tutors.

I am surprised when Humboldt walks into the drawing room letting me know that Weston has arrived. I stare at him as he walks into the room.

"What are you doing here?" I question.

West smiles as he pulls a small box from his pocket.

"Now?" I question.

"Juliette, I have spent this whole season getting to know you. Everyday learning something new. Now I cannot imagine my life without you in it. Will you marry me?" Weston asks.

I nod my head. "Of course I will."

West smiles as he slips the ring on my finger. I laugh as he pulls me in for a kiss.

The moment my mama returns I rush towards her. She smiles when she notices me.