33 | what's his name

Saturday 2nd December 2023

6:15 pm

"Maybe release me from these stupid invisible chains?"

"No. You can stay there, I don't trust you a single bit."

At this point, Reynold and that Rio guy had left the room, leaving myself and Marie. I despised my mother enough to not even call her mother. She's never been there for me, and she never will. And as she said, she doesn't trust me.

I've done nothing to her for her to be able to say that. I guess my existence pisses her off or something. Funny.

"Right, now what do you think of Rio?" She asks me and I roll my eyes.

"I don't know. He's just a random guy I know nothing about."

"Oh, don't you worry about that." She smirks as she sits down on the sofa, taking a sip of wine and then swirls the cup. "You'll get to know him enough."

"I don't get it. How would he help me?"

"You're going to use him to make Riddle jealous of course." She states, as if it's the most obvious thing ever. "As I said, jealousy is a powerful tool, and it'll only draw the Dark Lord's son closer to you."

"Riddle doesn't like me nor does he care about me. Why would he give a shit if some rando is just following me around?"

"God, you're so incompetent." She scoffs. "Just do as I say, and if you don't, I will find out. Rio will be reporting back to me everyday."

"Brilliant." I mutter under my breath, watching as she taps her face with some pressed powder.

"So when you get back to school in a couple of moments, I want you to act as if you're dating Rio. It's best to get to that extreme." She sprits perfume over herself. "Understood?"

I let out a deep breath and process what I've gotten myself into. I can't do this. Not now, not ever. I knew this day would come so I should've prevented it somehow. The day my parents would use me to fulfil Voldemort's desires.

Mattheo and I have just gotten on good terms, and now they want me to ruin what we have immediately?

***

7:32 pm

"I think I should head back to Hogwarts now... my professors won't be so happy."

"Oh, don't you worry about that." Reynold says, sat at the top end of the dinner table, whilst I sit directly opposite this guy Ryan - or whatever his name is - and Marie. "You'll return tomorrow morning. I've owled your school. Told them you had an emergency appointment."

I almost choke on my food.

They probably think I'm a death eater now too.

"You alright?" Rowan asks me, looking at me with his beady eyes. I stop myself from pulling a face of disgust and tilt my head with a fake smile.

"Perfectly well thank you Ryder."

"It's Rio." He scoffs.

"Close enough, Rafael."

I watch as his fist clenches and I smile to myself in content. After that, the silence in the dining room is deadly, just sounds of cutlery tapping and scraping against the plates, as I finish up the food that Kathy had made for us.