4: Around the World

4: Around the World

Boom!

A sonic explosion followed by strong winds, in a blurry motion, a figure soared through the skies, navigating through clouds and mountains. It traversed seas and rivers, even going beyond the blue sky, almost reaching outer space.

"WOOOOOOOOO!" an excited voice echoed as a fourth sonic explosion took place.

Descending towards the earth, the figure landed on top of a high mountain, gazing at the horizon.

Daniel admired the views with excitement, inhaling the fresh air and letting the sun touch his skin. Flying was incredible! With enthusiasm, he looked at the hooded trench coat, closed with a long zipper, covering his body. It was a dark blue garment that allowed him to fly at high speeds without worrying about ending up naked.

It was a rather simple piece of clothing, but the sense of achievement in creating it was not small. After all, he had put a lot of effort into making it.

Even though he had gained a certain level of knowledge thanks to the mysterious being's gift, the truth was that recreating the type of vitrumite fabric was very difficult without the proper technological foundation.

It was like giving the blueprints of a 21st-century technological product to a caveman and expecting him to recreate it. Of course, he wasn't in as precarious a position as a caveman would be, but he wasn't in a significantly better one either.

Earth's technology was still very backward compared to Viltrum's, after all. The only saving grace he had was that the simplest and weakest fabric required more of a chemical process than a mechanical one.

Fortunately, Earth had all the necessary chemical elements. If there were one unknown to humans or originating from a completely different planet, then he wouldn't have been able to do much.

But even if it was the simplest type of fabric, it was still incredible.

He looked at the mountain peak beneath his feet and carefully began to land; perhaps the most complicated part of flying was stopping.

For a Viltrumite, flying was even more natural than breathing; it was simply more natural than walking. Stopping was like forcing yourself to completely cease using one of your limbs.

He concentrated deeply; everything around him seemed to slow down as he descended from the sky. All his attention focused on the gravitational changes his own body produced in his surroundings.

It was astonishing. Gravity, a fundamental force in the universe that can bend all matter, something even light is incapable of escaping. When faced with a Viltrumite, it simply seemed to yield, bending around their mere presence as if it didn't exist.

Daniel wondered what it would be like when he decided to wander through space at some point. How would it feel to go faster than the speed of light? Because he knew he could do it; he knew that Viltrumites could defy the logic of the universe once they started flying in space.

He didn't know exactly how, but he guessed that ignoring gravity was a crucial point.

He cleared those thoughts from his mind; flying through space was now... dangerous.

Not only because of the unknowns that might exist in the vast universe but also because he wasn't sure if he could return to Earth. How do you navigate in space? There's no up or down, left or right—it's simply an infinite void with all possible directions to go.

Very easy to get lost if you have no way of knowing where you're headed.

He stopped concentrating once his feet touched the ground softly. The only indication of his landing was a gentle breeze that was expelled from where his feet made contact with the earth, in a circular shape. Besides that, it was a smooth and controlled landing.