7: Fire Meet Gasoline

In the skies, Helicarrier, central command.

"The world remains in shock after the significant revelation that took place this morning-"

"Who is this mysterious figure that has been aiding the world?"

"Defiant is a reality we must accept-"

"Is this the beginning of a new era?"

News from all parts of the world presented themselves before the sole eye of the SHIELD director.

Sighing, he glanced at his second-in-command, Maria Hill.

"How is it?" he asked, though already knowing the answer.

"The news has traveled across the entire world. Hiding something like this or trying to mask it is impossible. The live broadcast was being watched by more than half of the country and beyond" Maria Hill shook her head.

Fury nodded. In fact, he knew that even SHIELD couldn't do much; they had been having too many issues trying to mask Defiant's less public actions. This was simply impossible to hide.

"What about Subject D? Have our satellites made any progress in tracking him?" Subject D was the official designation for Defiant.

Maria Hill once again shook her head helplessly.

"After transporting the building to Central Park, he vanished. There have been no new confirmed sightings since then" Fury nodded and looked at the images on the screens.

This had gone beyond their expectations. Unconsciously, he touched the eyepatch, recalling a past event.

The world was very strange, but SHIELD had always ensured that it didn't affect the general public. They managed to conceal the big green guy, but it seemed they couldn't hide this.

In fact, there were many more things happening in the world that were becoming increasingly difficult to conceal.

He remembered a proposal he had been working on for a long time.

An initiative.

It seemed it was time to set it in motion.

"No matter what means we have to use, we must find him. I need to talk to him" said Fury, looking with seriousness at the clearest image that had been obtained of Defiant.

An image that had been printed and plastered across every news outlet in the world.

A man carrying a burning building on his shoulders while a girl was being protected beneath him.

His blue eyes seemed to radiate a clear intensity and evident resolve.

Combined with the prominent 'D' on his chest, which seemed particularly striking, gave him a memorable appearance.

Fury smiled imperceptibly.

He knew who would be the first candidate for his initiative; now he just had to find him.

.

.

.

"And this, my friends, is the upper half of the building that Defiant transported to Central Park. The fire department is working alongside the police department to prevent any civilians from getting too close, allowing for proper cleanup-"

The newscast continued to play in every home in the country and even beyond.

It was probably the most significant news in the world in a very, very long time.