16: State of mind

16: State of mind

"Reports" the room fell silent for a moment, everyone gathered there looked at each other, waiting for who would be the first to speak.

Clearing his throat and swallowing nervously, one of the agents responsible for collecting physical evidence began to speak.

"We began the collection of samples three hours ago. We also took control of satellite images, surveillance cameras, personal cameras, phone lines, and audio recordings. So far, all the evidence obtained matches the report already written"

In other words, they hadn't obtained anything.

Nick Fury stood up with his hands behind his back.

He looked at the agent who had spoken to him and said in a grave voice, "The best satellites in the world, access to all existing media, and the deployment of over a hundred personnel, and you're telling me that the only thing we know is what the police already knew three hours ago?!"

His fist slammed the table forcefully, shaking the papers on it.

He couldn't bear this level of incompetence.

The agent licked his lips, but he didn't flinch like many others would have done. Instead, he stood his ground, something extraordinary that not many people would be capable of when faced with a furious Nick Fury in front of them

"Sir, if you allow me, I can explain"

His teammates looked at him as if he were an idiot. What was there to explain? They had failed, they hadn't obtained anything substantial. What could they possibly say?

Nick Fury looked at him, narrowing his one eye, and spoke.

"explain it" He wasn't like other stubborn agency directors; the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. delved deep if necessary to get results and solutions. If the problem wasn't with his agents, then he needed to know and fix it as quickly as possible.

The agent quickly stood up and activated a holographic screen where several images and data began to unfold. This type of technology wasn't available to the public; only the military and certain special groups could have it thanks to exclusive commercial deals with Stark Industries, more precisely Tony Stark, who had developed holographic projection technology.

"Well, there are some unexpected factors that have hindered our investigation. As you can see in this timeline, everything begins at 3:13 pm, just a few minutes after classes ended at Smallville High School. The first call to the emergency line occurs two minutes later at 3:15 pm, made by one of the students who witnessed the murder of the other students"

Images of the corpses and the crime scene were presented, the brutality with which the young people were murdered even caused some of the present agents to furrow their brows slightly.

"Exactly as that call occurs, the fight between Defiant and the monster begins" satellite images were shown, nearly a kilometer of dense forest was affected. The main problem that everyone noticed was the thick clouds covering the scene.

That was a clear obstacle, even though the satellites had enough technology to use infrared vision as well as radar in them, that didn't mean that the images obtained that way could replace the quality of the images taken directly by the main lens.

"Exactly three seconds after the fight begins, we lose our infrared vision"

In the infrared image, an intense heat trail suddenly appeared, flooding everything in red.

"According to our calculations, at that moment, there was a discharge of concentrated thermal energy of at least one million degrees Celsius, or at least those were the data we obtained before the satellite sensors stopped working"