ϟ 5 ϟ

LEO'S BIRTHDAY FAIL

ϟ 𝐖𝐄𝐃𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟎𝟒/𝟎𝟒/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

ELENA walked into school, ready to approach the second quarter of her freshman year with a determined mindset. Her own progress reports had shown B's in English and World History. If her father's grumbling under his breath after he'd seen the report was anything to go by, she needed to step it up.

When she approached Leo at his locker, however, her mind was on her best friend only; there were so many questions she needed to ask.

"What was your mom's excuse this year?" was her first, referencing the surprise birthday party Leo had every year. His mother always, without fail, threw him one and made it an epic bash. Usually, Ellie would have received an invitation in the mail already. In previous years she had to work for at least a week to convince her father to let her attend. Ellie assumed Tasha was busy balancing her new marriage and family -- it was fine. She would just have to make quicker work of convincing her father.

Leo scoffed, "She said she had to go to a banquet to accept an award for her reporting."

Ellie turned her head as she stifled her laughs. Tasha's reporting? It was like she wanted Leo to know that she was planning a party.

"What kind of cake are you hoping for this year?" she asked, opening her own locker next to Leo's.

"Well, since last year was the size of me, I expect at least the size of Adam this time," he said seriously.

"I don't think that cake would stand upright," Ellie joked, "How about lets shoot for the size of current you."

"Well, I did have a grow-" Leo was suddenly interrupted when Ellie whipped her head around to face behind her.

Andy, approaching from behind, had her hand up ready to tap the girl on her shoulder, but froze when Ellie had turned around before she even made contact.

"Hey, Ellie. I just wanted to give you this -- for your birthday on Saturday," she informed the girl as she held up a small red box with a blue bow securing the lid on top. "I know you aren't into birthdays, but I figured everybody likes gifts, so I got you one anyway."

Ellie's face morphed from confusion to realization and she sent the tall girl a smile.

"It's fine, Andy. Thank you so much. Just don't go around telling everyone it's my birthday. I don't want any attention," she requested.

"Of course. See you in History!" Andy assured before she walked off.

"So, we've got two birthdays in one day," Chase smirked as he, Adam, and Bree approached the pair standing at their lockers.

Ellie snorted, "No." she responded, unwrapping the blue ribbon to open the box.

"Ellie tells everyone who asks about her birthday a different day," Leo explained, facing his siblings.

"Wait, why?" Bree asked.

"Because I think birthdays are lame. Also, I get a birthday present at least once like every month. It's awesome," she grinned as she took the lid off the box. "Ugh, just a cupcake. I was hoping for something that lasts a little more than five minutes."

"I'll take it!" Leo offered enthusiastically, grabbing the box from her hands.

"Woah, slow down, cowboy. It's my birthday," she snapped, grabbing the box back.

"No it isn't," he protested, before raising his eyebrows, "Is it?"

"No," Ellie deadpanned before taking a bite of her cupcake.