ϟ 19 ϟ

SPY FLY

ϟ 𝐓𝐔𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟗/𝟏𝟖/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

ELLIE didn't know what to expect when she walked into school the next day. Would Leo talk to her about it? Would he keep it a secret? Or maybe he didn't even see her. There was a chance he was too in shock to make sense of what had happened.

Leo had texted her at around nine the previous night to let her know that he made it home safe. When she responded, asking what had happened to him, the only thing he responded with was 'I'll tell you tmrw'.

Ellie held her breath as she walked over to her locker. She and Leo's lockers, as they had been for the past four years, were next to each other again this year, so she knew she would be facing whatever was ahead of her now.

She opened her locker with bated breath, grabbing her morning textbooks and shutting it again. She thought, just maybe, Leo might get to school late today. She could head to first period without having to talk to him. She began to walk down the hall, but her hopes were crushed when she heard a voice call from behind her.

"Ellie!" 

She spun on her heel to face the familiar boy.

"Leo!" she feigned relief, hugging him tight. "I'm so glad you're okay! Tell me all about what happened. Where did you go?"

"Ellie, you aren't gonna believe this, but I think superheroes are real," Leo whispered excitedly, cutting right to the chase.

Her heart dropped. He had seen her. He knew what she was.

She covered her shock with an awkward laugh.

"Leo, that's- that's crazy. Superheroes don't exist," she said as she fiddled with her fingers behind her back.

"I know. I know it sounds crazy, but. . . Davenport's car was speeding me towards the bottom of the Pacific Ocean! And then, this girl showed up," Leo began. "She slowed the car down and then  she absorbed all of the energy from the battery. And then she flew off the car and she just disappeared with a flash of lightning!"

Ellie cringed a little inside. She remembered that fall. Not her most graceful, and definitely one of the most painful. Her body ached everywhere all night.

"Leo, that's ridiculous. That's not even possible," Ellie laughed. "If superheroes were real, don't you think we would know about them? What with them saving the world all the time?"

"Ellie, come on! I thought, if anyone would understand, it would be you. You used to love superheroes! Wouldn't it be cool to believe that everything in your Weatheress comics really happened?"

"You're right, Leo. It would be cool. But you and I both know that that stuff is fiction. It's just. . . not possible," Ellie lied.

In second grade, Leo swore he saw a shark on their school field trip to the zoo. Of course, the other kids called him every name under the sun -- every name that first graders knew, of course. Ellie was the only one to tell him she believed him, even though there weren't any sharks listed there.

Of course, Leo had been wrong then (and Ellie knew it), but having Ellie by his side meant everything to him.

And now, here he was. He knew what he saw and he needed someone to believe him. And, as always, he looked to Ellie for his backup.

"You don't believe me?" he asked, sounding surprised.

"Leo, I want to, but-"

"I'm gonna prove it to you," he told her.