[04] Establishing Ties

"Is there seriously nothing here?"

You let out an exasperated sigh when you were met with disappointment yet again. No matter how meticulously you searched the room, rummaged through the desks, read every sheet of paper available, you couldn't find any information regarding your current presence in this world.

Currently, it was the day after when you had first woken up in this world. After your dinner with Caleb, you headed straight to bed as soon as possible to sleep away your stress. When you woke up this morning, your heart sank when you realised that you were still in this world. Seems like no matter how much you wanted to reject your new reality, you had no choice but to accept it.

Aside from the occasional nightmares that woke you up in a cold sweat during the night, you had significantly calmed down since yesterday. Well, the main reason why you were calmer was because you were trying your best to push aside any thoughts that would remind you of what you witnessed during your possession.

Right now you needed to get a solid idea of not only your current situation, but also a feel for what your plans were for the future. So, the first thing you opted to do today was figure out just exactly who you were in this world. Friends, families, previous affiliations, financial situation; you needed information such as that so you were more comfortable continuing this life.

However, the only pieces of information you could confirm weren't useful. Stuff like your full name, age, date of birth, and your current occupation. You even searched your phone and found no traces of any connections with anyone. Heck, the photo album was even empty.

With a groan, you closed the desk drawer for what seemed to be the hundredth time this morning. You gave up and fell backward onto your bed with your arms sprawled out. Just who the hell were you in this world? You couldn't even conclude that you've assumed an existing character role since, for your particular dispatch, the game never mentioned anything about the support team's leader.

"Well, I do look the same as I did in the past," you mumbled. "So I guess I'm just a new character...?"

Heaving a sigh, you took your keycard and hung it around your neck. It was your form of identification in the AEI as well as the only piece of information that you had of yourself in this world. You zipped up your jacket and checked your reflection.

The uniform provided by the AEI wasn't anything too strict, the only mandatory piece of clothing were the jackets. Pants and shoes were left to choice by the individuals so long as it was appropriate for operations and the colours were dark. Additional accessories such as jewellery were encouraged to keep to a minimum.

The jacket was pretty oversized and it covered your neck. The entire colour was black aside from the inside of the hood and the designs imprinted onto it such as the outlines on the pockets, the bold letters that spelt AEI across the back of the jacket, the two straight lines drawn across the sleeves, your dispatch number imprinted on the right side of your chest, and the small upside down triangles that decorated the edge of the sleeves.

The colour of the designs varied depending on the position. Support had yellow, defence had a navy blue, offence had a deep crimson red, and the specialty force had white. Often times in the dark the coloured parts of the jacket would illuminate faintly. You always thought that was a cool effect.

As satisfied as you could be with your appearance, you opened the door and locked it behind you before stepping into the hallway.

Hm, it seems like I chose to live in the institution building instead of my own accommodation.

A benefit of working in the AEI was that they allowed you to live in their building. Many chose to live here which was why it was usually brimming with life day or night. You didn't blame them. After all, the building was not only spacious, but you could tell that a lot of money went into it by how polished and luxurious everything is. It also accommodated for all your basic essentials, provided the convenience of showing up to work early, granted access to the training grounds, etc.