[18] Possession

Use him? Red flags rose at Amias's words. Why did he say it like that? Did you accidentally come off as demanding when you asked him for help or instructed him on what to do? Hopefully, you were overthinking things and this wasn't the start of something unhealthy.

"Amias," you said, voice firm, "Please don't say use, you're not a tool."

Amias was silent for a brief moment. "Sorry."

The limited time prevented you from adding more onto your words. A swarm of apparitions covered the sky and created a ceiling above before they dove straight down. You and Amias jumped out of the way and you didn't fail to notice how he placed himself in front as a means of protecting you.

"Should I use the teleport points?" he asked, summoning the digital screen.

A quick and simple solution, but your shoulders slumped when a possibility ran through your mind.

"They're locked, aren't they...?"

Amias opened the map and you took a peak.

You cursed under your breath. I didn't think game mechanics would apply to real life.

A grey tone froze the usual pale yellow screen and Amias was unable to select the teleport points. It took a minute for your brain to register it since you didn't expect to experience this scene with Amias, but you recognised this scenario as part of Anomalous's plot.

In the game, the SF trial was about world exploration, grinding levels, testing new skills, learning new mechanics, and doing optional side quests. There would be occasional instances where the player would be locked onto the story mode, which was, apparently, right now.

Teleport points wouldn't work here. During the story events, the player isn't granted the usual luxury features such as teleportation for quick and efficient gameplay or the chance to let your protagonist stand in the middle of nowhere as you went to get a snack. It was a simple game mechanic that made sense to a player.

This is where Cecil and Amias work together for the first time.

A quick summary of what happened in the original story: Amias and Cecil work together to exorcise the apparitions in the area. Development between the two occurs and the player learns of Cecil's abilities. Amias's ability to teleport in quick and short successions allowed for a flexible means of diversion, which provided the perfect opportunity for Cecil's snake-like abilities to prey on the apparitions.

If things go according to the plot, then I'll be safe. You narrowed your eyes. However...

Cecil and Amias arrive late at the scene you were currently trying to reach. The exorcism they did was efficient, but still ate up a lot of time. Even if Amias used a teleport point after the story section ended, it would be too late. Meaning, you can't afford to follow the plot even if it was best for your personal safety.

Deaths during and outside of operations weren't an uncommon thing. Doing something ambitious or overstepping your boundaries can increase your chances of being in danger.

That was a prominent thought in your mind when you first came into this world. Sometimes, despite your efforts and determination to change your manner of thinking, it would creep up when conflicting situations like this arose. You mentally scolded yourself and pulled yourself out of the depths filled with doubts and fear of death. You were going to overstep your boundaries here and take a gamble. It was crucial that you interact with the vengeful apparition and you weren't going to shy away because of an uncertain predicament.

Also, you needed to prove to yourself that you truly have developed.

So, the issue was that you needed to access Amias's teleport points to reach the scene as quickly as possible, but it's locked behind a story mode. How would you counter that? Deviate from the original story.