[27] Revisited Past

Concentrate. Everything in this field is your target.

Red reticles illuminated on countless apparitions. Upon his command, a whole swarm of them were effortlessly wiped out, a beautiful bright succession of lines as bullets darted from apparition to apparition.

Lyle sighed. This was pissing him off. There wasn't much time until the SF trial ended and the flood of apparitions were hindering his efficiency. And adding to his already irritable mood, a whistle was heard on his right. When he turned around, Caleb waved at him and Lyle immediately scoffed. Somehow, he ended up running into Caleb and was forced into a situation where teamwork was necessary.

"Wow. No wonder you have no friends. Is the frown on your face permanent?" Caleb asked. "May I humbly suggest a talented surgeon to get that fixed? Oh! I'll also try and persuade them to give a discount."

"Do you ever keep that mouth of yours shut?"

"Now, now. No fighting each other, we're supposed to be exorcising the apparitions," Finn said. "Has anyone seen Amias and (Y/n)?"

Caleb shook his head. "I take my eyes off Miss Support for one second and she causes trouble. But! I believe in her~"

Knowing her, she would throw herself in danger and cause a ruckus. Lyle recalled the moment when you were possessed by the vengeful apparition. Just how reckless can a person get?

Whatever. It wasn't his business.

As Lyle was about to move forward, his feet riveted to the spot when a foreboding chill pricked his skin. Finn and Caleb seemed to have sensed the same thing. Caleb stopped his annoying chatter for once and Finn's friendly eyes sharpened in alert. Behind them. The presence was right behind them and Lyle readied to go on the offensive.

And the moment Lyle turned his head around––static. That was the first thing he saw.

"What the hell..."

Groggily and jarring movements as if the body was confused on how each limb functioned, a breathy groan leaving dried lips, uncomfortable cracks of bones, and eyes filled with static. Lyle believed if he stared for too long, he'd be unable to move and the static would plague his mind, blurring the boundary between reality and his headspace.

You. It was you. That––thing was your body. Another possession? Just what kind of situation did you get into?!

Then, your gaze that was once listlessly on the ground suddenly shot to the three exorcists.

"It's kind of hard to get used to a physical body," you mumbled, cracking your neck. "Can't complain too much, though."

The horrors on Finn and Caleb's face quickly subsided as they remained on guard. Well, subsided on the surface. Caleb looked composed, but judging by how close the two of you were Lyle assumed all sorts of conflict was in the exorcist's head at the moment.

"(Y/n) got possessed?" Finn whispered. "By what apparition, though?"

Realisation dawned upon Lyle. The irregular apparition. He had no idea how you did it, but he recalled in the first phase of the trial you had managed to capture an irregular apparition in what seems to be a book. Could that be the cause?

If she's possessed by an irregular apparition... Lyle didn't want to think about the worse case scenario. (Y/n), why did you capture something so dangerous if you don't know how to control it?!

"Miss Support is pretty resilient towards apparitions, so whatever's possessing her is not ordinary," Caleb said. "Eh, like it matters. I'll bring her back asap! Be right back~"