2

I was fifteen when I got cast on Reality Rush. I remember the excitement coursing through me, a surge of adrenaline at the thought of being chosen for something so monumental. You see, there was nothing remarkable about me back then. I was just a pipsqueak, blending into the background without a glimmer of recognition. I didn't have a group of friends to call my own, nor did I hold any prestigious positions like being a member on the student council. I was simply a nobody—a loser, if you will. Despite my apparent lack of distinction, out of thousands of auditions from people across the nation, they decided to cast me. I had no idea why they would decide on a no one from the Richmond district but I wasn't going to question it.

My first day on set was nerve racking, I hadn't met any of the other consents or any of the staff yet because the producers wanted to 'make it as authentic as they could.' I didn't dare question any of them. A flaw that would become my downfall. I was surprised that we were actually filming on location, the show was set at some abandoned summer camp in Maine. The photos that the producers had sent me made it look so luxurious and I couldn't fathom how someone could abandon such a place. Sure it wasn't a five star hotel resort but it had a kind of charm to it that just couldn't be replicated.

Alone on the bus, a vehicle I had seen come and go all morning from my trailer, I was about to step into the spotlight. I didn't care if I got eliminated first; I just wanted people to know my name, to be envious of me. As the bus came to a stop, I knew this was my moment. I took a deep breath, stood up, and brushed off my dark blue jeans.I had to look my best if I wanted to escape my nobody status. Stepping off the bus, I anticipated glitz and glamor, but I was met with cabins with peeling paint and structures that looked like the wind could knock them over. A handsome man stood front and center, accompanied by a group of about five teenagers, none of them appearing excited to be there. "Hi! I'm Aurora!" My adolescent voice spoke, attempting to convey gratitude. However, my excitement was met with an eye roll from the unnamed adult.

"Cut. Harold, a word?" The man boomed, summoning a producer from the sidelines. Both men looked equally annoyed, and through hushed words, I overheard, "She looked cuter in her headshot... I don't know, just stick her in as filler or something. She can be 'eliminated' early on." I could feel my heart sink. I was just a filler character, someone to make the other people look better. I knew I was punching well above my weight when I casted but I just really thought I had a chance.

The producers walked me through my entrance, providing instructions on how to act, where to stand, and how to interact with the host, whom I learned was named Damien Blackwood. Swiftly following this guidance was a clear directive: do not interact with him unless instructed otherwise. After approximately half an hour of pauses, practice, and filming for my two-minute introduction, I was cast aside with the rest of the teenagers who had just undergone the same process. I moved towards the back, my head tilted in shame. What was I doing here?

"Hey." A gentle voice spoke up. I looked up and saw one of the most beautiful girls I had ever encountered. Her jet-black hair flowed in the wind, and her green eyes studied me, almost as if she were deciding whether I was a friend or a threat. I wasn't sure if I was meant to be talking to her; she seemed like an important character, while I was a background character. "

Oh, um, hi," I mumbled, tucking a stray piece of hair behind my ear. I knew I shouldn't have worn a ponytail; it didn't help my looks either, making me appear more juvenile. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I quit? How would I even go about it? 'Oh hey, yeah, I don't think you like me very much, so I'm just going to dip. Thanks, though!' No, this was a professional world; I was just a kid. Even if I did want to quit, they wouldn't let me.

"I didn't have a graceful entrance either. I'm Alyssa." She put her hand out for me to shake.I hesitated for a moment, glancing at Alyssa's outstretched hand. It felt like a lifeline in this sea of uncertainty. With a deep breath, I extended my hand, shaking hers timidly.