Eighteen

It was three days later before Riyana left her apartment again. The students all gathered to review the performances of last night's live interviews. Riyana had not bothered attending or even watching from home. It was no stake to her.

They had been assigned to write an essay about the food that came from the war and what they loved about it. Riyana had not brought pen to paper until that very morning. What she had put together was pathetic compared to her essays in the past, but she was at a point in time where she saw no reason to put any effort into any of this.

Then, to the surprise of many students, Dr Gaul announced they would have to stand up and read the points of their essay before turning the entire thing in.
She was amongst the first few to stand up and present.

She was already nervous; she hated talking about anything sentimental. It did not help that Sejanus sat in one of the front rows, jaw locked and nose twitching as he listened to everyone. She tried not to look at him, but she did it almost instinctively hoping to find comfort.

She looked up directly at the ceiling as she began talking. "I wrote," She paused and shuffled through the papers. Her mind seemed to blank and she stood stupidly trying to scan over the words. "I wrote that I liked how it brought everyone together, how we were all considered equals."

"Not everyone." Sejanus interjected from his seat.

"You will get your turn Sejanus." Dean Highbottom told him.

Riyana glared at Sejanus. He had not cut off anyone else. She was saying far less problematic points than some of their other classmates. Yet, it was her he felt the need to direct his anger at.

"Not everyone." Riyana said impatiently. "But, here in the capital, yes. For a few years, it did not matter if you were in power or just a maid, it evened out the playing field. Helped others see respect for their neighbors that they might not have before."

This was inherently a lie. Sure everyone was struggling together, but not struggling equally. She rarely missed a meal, others had to wait until family died to eat of their bones. This was the history no one liked to think about though, so no one else interjected.

Riyana zoned out for the majority of class. She had no interest in hearing everyone's romanticized sentiments. She only came back to when it was Sejanus's turn to speak.

He flipped a sheet of paper over and read, "'The only thing I loved about the war was the fact that I still lived at home.' If you're asking me if it had any value beyond that, I would say that it was an opportunity to right some wrongs."

"And did it?" asked Dr. Gaul.

"Not at all. Things in the districts are worse than ever," said Sejanus.

Comments and objections scattered across the room all aimed at Sejanus. He did not care or even seem to notice.

"May I ask, what did you love about the war Dr. Gaul?" Sejanus asked.

"I love that it proved me right." Dr Gaul smiled.

Dean Highbottom diffused the situation by dismissing all the students for lunch. Riyana stood with her tray in the lunch hall, unsure where to sit. Things with Lysistrata felt weird now, she had gotten the spot that Lysistrata had deserved. Lysistrata had the spot of future head surgeon taken from her, just because her family was not powerful enough. Clemensia, she was still in the hospital with the flu. Felix, still in the hospital recovering from his injuries during the bombing. Coriolanus seemed a well enough option, but he was sitting with Hilarius Heavensbee, a girl Riyana found rather dreadful.

She sat alone at the last empty table. The food looked unappetizing, but she tried eating at it anyway. She had miscalculated when picking this seat though, because Sejanus had not sat down yet. And, as mad at her as she was, she was still the best option out of the other groups.