Chapter 26: End of the Tour

"Raven." Ayre's voice came, "This job comes from me.... Ayre, a Rubiconian. Overseer is planning to burn the Coral to extinction."

She paused. She didn't really know what to say. Or really, the issues are just how to say it.

<<Go on. I'm listening. I won't judge you.>>

"I want... to keep that from happening." Ayre continued, "The only way to stop the Xylem's ascent is by seizing control of its systems. And that means we have only one choice. We'll take advantage of the confusion while the corporations and Overseer are fighting... and eliminate Carla."

Raven's eyes widened for a moment as he looked down.

"I understand how you feel about betraying Walter's last wishes and taking on Carla," said Ayre, "But still... I want you to give me a chance. I'm not asking Walter's hound... but Raven, the independent mercenary."

Raven paused for a moment. He needed to be sure of this.

Stop the Xylem, save the Coral, but risk contamination into space by betraying his handler's last wishes, although siding with his partner.

Save the Xylem, burn the Coral, but risk another system-wide explosion or possibly an entire galaxy section scorched, ultimately completing Walter's and having him finally rest in peace, but facing against Ayre.

No. He couldn't bring himself to fight Ayre, his only true best friend.

I'm sorry, Walter.

He'll do it.

I really am.

He clicked the "Accept" button and OBSIDIAN WING was then being brought up.

"I was hoping you would take the job, Raven..." said Ayre with a hopeful tone in her voice, "...Thank you."

<<You're welcome, partner.>>

...

"...Let's get started, Raven. As always, I'll support you." said Ayre, "Carla has taken up command in the reservoir dome in the Xylem's port wing. You'll make enemies of both the corporations and Overseer by doing this... Please, be careful."

<<I always am.>>

Raven then had OBSIDIAN WING assault boost throughout the small sectiion of the city.  He tried to stay out of the way of any corporation or Overseets. However, an unfortunately familiar voice.

"Rubiconian apes..." it grunted in annoyance, "Out of my way!"

"That's V.II Snail. The man who captured you at Institute City." Ayre informed, "...It's up to you how you want to deal with him."

Raven's eyes widened then turned into a death stare as he immediately assault boosted downwards, making his way right for him. He engaged all his vertical and normal missiles, all aiming right for Snail, adding a bazooka blast along with a charged up laser blade.

All weapons struck with a hint of vengeance within them once OPEN FAITH crashed right into a building.

"You again?!" he growled, "Thought you'd run away with your tail between your legs. Back for more, are you?"

<<After shooting me in the back, I'll always be back!>>

OBSIDIAN WING then kicked the enemy AC further into the building, forcing it out of the other side. Snail then forced him off with the laser lance and stun gun.