chapter 4

He had changed since then, since he met you.

"Charlie!" Alastor said endearingly as he addressed the blond Demoness before him. He had dressed himself and left his chamber to request of her something, something he knew she was too kind to deny him. "My, you look quite dejected, hm?"

Alastor wasn't the same weak little morsel of a human soul he was when he first came to Hell — no, if anything, he had become more like you, though he would never realize it. It was as if his meeting with you inspired him — that is, inspired him to become the master manipulator that always wore a sinister smile like he is.

"Ughhh," Charlie groaned, running a clawed hand down her white face.

He was following her shorter form in the hallways of the Hazbin Hotel, his hands folded neatly behind his back as he beheld her with a patient simper.

"I take it the meeting with the First Man did not go as planned?"

"Worse," Charlie said, holding her elbow with her hand as she walked. "He completely ignored my ideas and basically called me an idiot! I've never been so humiliated in my liiiiiife."

"Well, you have the ball to look forward to tomorrow, no?" Alastor exclaimed, throwing out a hand. Charlie stopped and turned around, meeting his gaze. "Is that not something to cheer up about?"

"The only reason I go to that stupid gala is because my dad wants me to," Charlie huffed like a child, tucking a strand of blonde hair behind her ear. "And... I feel like I owe it to him."

"Are you taking Vagatha?" inquired Alastor, his smile deepening. Charlie shook her head.

"I..." she stammered. "I dunno, Al, I don't know if I want to expose her to all that. It may make her feel-"

"Unworthy?" finished Alastor. He straightened his spine and tilted his head. "Well, I do think that is quite a reasonable excuse. If you find the gala so trivial, why bother bringing someone you love so dearly just to bore them to death? I'm certain you would love to just get it over with."

"Well.." Charlie began, sucking in a sharp breath. "Not necessarily.."

Alastor's brows raised.

Charlie stuck out a hand as she spoke. "I wanna take this as a chance to talk to my dad about the hotel, to see what he thinks. I don't wanna ask him for help, no, never," she shook her head, appearing saddened, "but maybe he could give me some advice, I dunno..." She sighed. "Does that sound stupid?"

"Not at all, Charlotte!" exclaimed Alastor, waving his hand. "If you truly want to talk to your father about this lovely establishment, I would be more than happy to accompany you if you are as worried as you seem!"

Charlie's eyes sparkled, her face brightened. "Really, Alastor? You would do that?"

"If you're willing to bring a plus one," Alastor replied, folding his hands neatly over his radio staff. His gaze narrowed. Perfect.

Charlie smiled in excitement. "Okay, okay." She let out a big breath. "Woah. Well, that makes me feel a lot better, haha." She feigned wiping sweat from her forehead. "I can do the talking, if you would just go over the technical stuff. I think if you were there it may cause him to respect the idea a little more, y'know? Since you're the Radio Demon and all — not that he cares much for Overlords and shit but you are pretty well known in Hell so-"

Alastor raised his hand to cut Charlie's ramblings off. "Please, dear." Charlie closed her mouth, smiling again in relief, and Alastor lowered his hand kindly. "I'll purchase a new suit for the occasion."