❀ AAPI

AAPI, which stands for Asian American and Pacific Islander, is a broad term encompassing a rich tapestry of cultures and people. Beyond just Asian-Americans, it includes native Hawaiians, individuals from various Asian countries, and those from the Pacific Islands.

The Pacific Islands, divided into Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia, add depth to the AAPI community. Melanesia boasts countries like New Guinea, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji, and the Solomon Islands. Micronesia spans the Marianas, Guam, Wake Island, Palau, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Nauru, and the Federated States of Micronesia. Polynesia, on the other hand, features New Zealand, the Hawaiian Islands, Rotuma, Midway Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, the Cook Islands, French Polynesia, and Easter Island.

Throughout May, AAPI Heritage Month celebrates the vibrant cultures, traditions, and contributions of these diverse groups. This celebration has its roots in a congressional bill from 1978, chosen to coincide with significant events such as the arrival of the first Japanese immigrants in the U.S. and the completion of the transcontinental railroad, built with the help of Chinese immigrants.

During AAPI Heritage Month, various events, educational programs, and festivities take place, allowing people to learn about the history, food, and traditions of Asian Americans, native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders. It's a time to honor their achievements and appreciate the invaluable richness they bring to American society.

In essence, AAPI Heritage Month serves as a reminder of the beauty and strength found in diversity. It encourages us to embrace and celebrate the unique contributions of all individuals within the AAPI community, fostering understanding, respect, and unity.

***

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

EVENT SPOTLIGHT

@APIFantasy & @APIRomance are co-hosting an Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (AAPIHM) contest, running from May 1 to May 30

@APIFantasy & @APIRomance are co-hosting an Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (AAPIHM) contest, running from May 1 to May 30. Explore Asian and Pacific Islander culture through 27 prompts and 3 mini-challenges throughout May. Favorite submissions by Asian and/or Pacific Islander authors will receive a first chapter review, an interview request, a feature in APIFantasy and APIRomance's Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage Month Anthology, and many more awesome prizes! Stay tuned till May 1st!

To prepare for May, we are thrilled to open submissions to Asian and Pacific Islander authors on Wattpad for feature opportunities on one or more profiles. Submissions will close on April 30th, 2024; 11:59 PM EST. If you are an author of Asian and/or Pacific Islander descent, we encourage you to consider submitting your story here.