Callida

It's surprisingly easy to cut in front of spirits. They're in no hurry to get to the Judgement Pavilion. I can't imagine why.

What isn't easy is keeping the two kids with me. Whenever I let go of their hands, they fade into gray spirits, which is incredibly creepy and unsettling. Twice I lose Giuseppe, as he lets go of my hand and five other spirits crowd me, wanting to be made whole again by my touch.

That's another thing. Every time I touch a spirit, they become human-looking again. I'm not sure if it's because I'm alive, or if it's because children of Dionysus have the ability to bring spirits back from the dead sometimes, but either way, it causes a mass confusion around me every time I lose a kid.

I'm not a babysitter. I never took babysitting classes, or joined a Babysitter's club (is that even a real thing?). The closest I ever got was teaching eight-year-old Harley how to throw an axe. That's probably not what they teach you to do in babysitting class.

These two little kids are so antsy to run off and explore, but the second I lose my grip on them, they forget what they want to do. They start to drift aimlessly. I have to keep a death grip on their hands, and even then, I keep getting distracted and letting go.

I hear piercing screams in the clouds above. Occasionally, I see a figure swoop out momentarily, giving me chills. The Furies. Spirits reach out to me, trying to regain their solid form. I keep pushing my way through them as they chitter in mild annoyance.

Up ahead is what looks like a TSA screening checkpoint. One at a time, spirits walk through, the light flashing green for them. As we get closer, I see the sign.

NO LIVING. NO BOTTLES. NO WEAPONS.

Well, I'm alive, and I have a weapon. Good thing I don't have a water bottle, or I'd hit the trifecta.

I obviously can't go through the life-detectors. That would cause quite a scene. I need to get around them somehow.

I look and see patches of bushes lining the area around the detectors. If I can get to those bushes, maybe, just maybe, I can work a little nature magic.

But I need a distraction. Skeletal guards are working the detectors. If they see me sneaking around, not looking ghostly, they're going to have questions. Probably painful, deadly questions.

"Okay." I crouch down in front of the kids. "I need to leave you guys for just a few minutes. I need you to go through the checkpoint. Once you're through, I need you to cause a scene. Start crying, or running around, or anything. Keep the guards distracted."

I repeat my instructions in Italian for Giuseppe, who smiles and nods.

The little girl, whose name I've learned is Amber, bounces excitedly.

"This is important." I grip their hands tightly, meeting their eyes. "When I let go, you're going to want to forget. You're going to be confused. But look at me. Remember me. I need your help. Okay? Distract the guards so that I can sneak in."

The kids both nod, grabbing each other's hands. I let go of their hands, and they melt back into ghostly specters.

I can only hope my plan will work.

The two ghost children push their way through the spirits and make it through the detectors with ease.

Of course, that's when the plan goes haywire. I didn't specify what kind of distraction they should pull off. And of course, these kids are completely nuts.

I watch with a mix of horror and awe as one spirit somehow bursts into flames, running in circles around the other spirits. Their ghostly clothing catches fire, very quickly creating a blazing bonfire of ghosts. The other spirit dances around the fire as if performing some weird witchcraft, doing cartwheels and chittering and bumping into skeletal guards.