Leo

The night before we leave, I meet with Chiron and Nico to discuss my plan of action to find Calli.

They're already seated in the living room when I arrive. Seymour the leopard head is asleep on the mantle. A fire crackles in the hearth.

"Leo." Chiron gestures for me to have a seat. I'm a bit wary of him ever since he kicked me with his super-strong horse leg, but I do as I'm told.

"So, guys." I crack my knuckles, trying to look confident even though I'm not. "What's the plan?"

Nico frowns at me. "You do realize that no one has seen her in six months, right?"

I shrug. "If anyone's gonna find her, I will."

"Maybe." Chiron picks up a mug of tea, but instead of drinking it, he just holds it in his hands thoughtfully. "We have sent multiple satyrs down to Miami to look for her. All of them have disappeared. But the nature spirits are reporting something strange."

"What do you mean?" I try to keep my voice from shaking.

"There's been a significant drop in monstrous activity in Miami. Specifically, in South Beach."

"Huh." I shrug. "That sounds like a good thing."

I'm doing my best to sound chill, but in actuality, I'm terrified. Last time I went missing, Calli shut down completely. She became completely obsessed with repairing the engine in my old ship, the Argo II. According to my friends, she seriously wasn't herself. From what I hear this time, she reacted completely normally to my death, which is somehow even more scary to me. What is she doing in Miami that's scaring away all those monsters, that's making satyrs disappear, and making everyone afraid of Miami?

"It can be a good thing." Chiron laces his fingers together around the mug of tea. "Or it can be ssomething bad. Percy said that he heard other voices in the Iris-message. Thaat means she's not alone. He said she talked to them like she would with friends or family. "

"That's good, right?"

Chiron winces. "It can be, but this is Calli we're talking about. She can be friends with anyone."

"You know," I remember a vague memory, "Annabeth told me one time that if anyone were to start a cult, it would be Calli."

"Yes." Chiron nods. "She has a natural magnetism. And a lot of our newer demigods have claimed to come from Miami. They refuse to explain, but they show up with prior sword training, prior archery skills, and just a general knowledge of the gods and Greek history." He sighs. "I'm led to believe that she is a member of some group in Miami that is acting as a sort-of welcome wagon for demigods. Specifically, those who are coming from other countries, like Chiara Benvenuti or Paolo."

I nod. "That sounds like Calli. Always trying to help."

"Another thing I'm worried about." Chiron takes a sip of his tea. "She seems to be very upset with you."

I can't help but grimace."Yeah, I didn't think about how she'd see things. I just figured I'd do what I need to do and fix it when I get back. I also didn't realize how long it would take me to actually get back."

Chiron shrugs. "Your personal life is your own. But if you want her on this quest of yours, you'll need to find a way to convince her to join you."

"I'll figure it out." I sound confident, but I'm not. How do I apologize for what I did? I'd planned on being gone for a month, tops. Now it's been six. Calli could have a whole new life in Miami. She could be dating someone new.

I push that awful thought out of my mind.

"Apollo mentioned Indiana." Chiron notes. "I suggest you go to Miami, convince Callli to join you, then head to Indiana and see if you can find another Oracle."

I nod. "That sounds like a plan."

Chiron gives me a sly smile. "And when you find Calli, please tell her that I miss her judgement."

I can't help but laugh. "Huh? You miss Calli's judgement?"

He stares into the burning fireplace. "Calli has a way of lightening the mood even in the darkest of situations. She can see the big picture. That even when we're under siege, we're alive. We can laugh, and joke, and put our best foot forward. It's hard to find people like that. Tell her that I wish her home."

I try not to mention the fact that if she is in Miami like he's so convinced she is, that she probably is home.

"Of course."

"And tell her..." Chiron gives me an intense gaze. "Tell her that heroes do what they must. They do what is needed of them."

"Um.. okay?" I can't see how that will help, but I trust Chiron's judgement.