GRADE-A DICK

YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE YOU MEAN THAT.

LAIKEN WAS ENJOYING HER MORNING COFFEE ON THE FRONT PORCH

LAIKEN WAS ENJOYING HER MORNING COFFEE ON THE FRONT PORCH. As she did so, she was flipping through a magazine, reading up on the latest celebrity drama. But she was startled when the front door burst open and an unfamiliar figure in a burnt-up suit rushed outside, seemingly struggling to breathe. And a moment later, Elena followed him, standing in the doorway.

As soon as he recovered, Elijah was rushing at Elena, however, he was unable to enter the threshold.

"What happened?" Elijah asked, breathing deeply, clearly angry.

Elena shushed him, knowing that the three vampires still asleep in the house would hear him. "I'll tell you. Not here. Can I trust you?"

"Can I trust you?" he asked, also whispering while glaring at her.

In response, Elena held up the dagger that could incapacitate an Original. A smirk grew on Laiken's face, unable to believe Elena had actually woken the man. So, she shut her magazine and decided it was finally time to meet her third mate — even if she hadn't officially met Klaus.

"Steffy and Demon are gonna kill you," Laiken spoke up with a smirk on her face.

Elijah frowned in confusion and turned to her, only for her scent to run into him like a brick wall, his senses overwhelmed with the smell of strawberries and wildflowers.

Knowing what he was realizing, Laiken chose to act stupid, looking to Elena instead. "C'mon. I'll drive. I wanna see how this plays out."

☽︎

Laiken's blue Honda moved down the road, heading toward the Lockwood mansion. Elena was in the back seat while Elijah was in the front, drinking from a blood bag.

"I don't believe we've met," Elijah said, trying to control himself around her. He was angry and wanted to lash out at Elena but refrained from doing so in front of his mate.

"Laiken Salvatore," she said, turning to smile at him for half a second before focusing on the road. "I very specifically avoided you last time around. You know, self-preservation and all."

"I swore to protect all of Elena's loved ones."

"She's not my loved one," Elena muttered as Laiken just cringed from the mere thought of being Elena's friend.

"Yeah, no, I'd pass her on to Klaus wrapped in a bow if my cousins wouldn't stop me," she admitted, not caring how insensitive she was. Then she parked her car at the side of the road, just in front of Tyler's home. "You're looking better, Suits."

"Where did you get the dagger?" Elijah quickly asked, looking back at Elena.

"I'll tell you everything. But we have to work together, Elijah. I need your word," she said.