THE SACRIFICE

YOU WON'T FIGHT ME ON THIS.

LAIKEN STOOD OUTSIDE THE OLD, RUNDOWN WITHCY HOUSE along with Elijah, Alaric, Stefan, and Enzo

LAIKEN STOOD OUTSIDE THE OLD, RUNDOWN WITHCY HOUSE along with Elijah, Alaric, Stefan, and Enzo. Bonnie was inside with Jeremy, getting ready for the ritual. Elena had already been taken by Klaus, and Damon had been radio silent for hours.

"The sacrifice is completed in stages as the full moon sets," Elijah was explaining. "First the werewolf is killed, then the vampire. Finally the doppelgänger. Once Elena dies, the curse will be broken. Klaus will become a hybrid."

"So when do we attack?" Alaric questioned.

"Elena's death will activate his dormant werewolf side. He'll be vulnerable during the transformation. That's when Bonnie comes in."

"And you're sure Bonnie will survive this?" Enzo asked, raising an eyebrow.

"If she can deliver him to the brink of death, I'll finish the job myself," he assured them, lying through his perfect teeth.

Then Stefan's phone rang with a call from Damon, all of them listening in as he put it on speaker for Alaric and Laiken.

"Damon," he greeted,

"You're not going to like what I'm about to say," he muttered.

"Cut to the chase. Is the sacrifice happening or not?" Stefan asked.

"It's happening. I tried to stop it, but it got... complicated."

"We're sticking with the original plan. We're meeting Bonnie right now."

"Wait," Laiken said, glaring at the phone. "Complicated how?"

Damon sighed and it was silent for a moment. "He's got Jenna, Lake."

"What?" Alaric asked in alarm.

"He got Katherine to lure her out of the house," he explained. "He's going to use her as the vampire in the ritual."

For once in her life, Laiken found herself caring about someone other than herself and her mates. Because no way in hell was Jenna going to die while Elena got to live — it wasn't fucking fair. "Like hell he is."

Stefan's eyes lit up. "Does that mean you're gonna help?"

"Get me a location, and I'll deal with it."

"Absolutely not," Elijah said. "She's far too fragile to go anywhere near the sacrifice. I can't protect her and kill Klaus at the same time."

Laiken scoffed and narrowed her eyes at him. It wasn't his fault, of course. He didn't know what she could do. But still, she was annoyed. "I don't need your protection, Elijah."

"Yes, you do, Elskan," he said softly, emotion swimming in his eyes.

"What the hell is an Elf's can?" she asked, scrunching her face up in a way that Elijah thought was incredibly adorable. "Never mind. Zo, go tell Bonnie to get on with the locator spell. We've got a hybrid to find."