17-

Two years prior

"I don't know why you won't just give in and divorce her if that's what she wants," his mother protested, fanning a hand about after adjusting her earring. She let out an exasperated sigh, her perfectly coiffed hair not moving an inch. "I thought I raised you better than that, Hyun-woo-ya."

Hyun-woo waved a hand at his young son, as the boy struggled to walk, his chubby legs wobbling with each step. Giving up, the toddler crawled over to his grandmother's waiting arms, gurgling happily.

"Eomma," Hyun-woo began, his tone measured but firm, " Leave it be."

Ignoring him—his mother continued, "I heard a rumor that Amirah's family has lost their money. Think that's true?"

Hyun-woo watched as his mother scooped up the giggling toddler, settling him on her lap with practiced ease.

Madame Wang pursed her lips, as he registered her son's disinterested face while she ran her fingers through Dami's unruly hair. "This child needs a haircut," she muttered, expertly dodging the glances. "Look at how handsome he is, just like his father."

Hyun-woo sighed, running a hand through his own hair in frustration. "Eomma, please don't change the subject. I need to know if what I heard you just ask—is true."

His mother finally met his gaze, her eyes sharp and assessing. "Well what if it is true? Wouldn't you want to know, Hyun-woo-ya? What difference does it make? You have a duty to this family, to your son. You can't just let hold onto your wife because she's going through a difficult time."

Hyun-woo's jaw clenched, a flicker of anger sparking in his eyes. "Amirah is more than just my wife, Eomma. She's the mother of my child, the woman I love. I won't abandon her, no matter what her family's financial situation may be."

Madame Wang scoffed, bouncing Dami on her knee as he giggled and clapped his hands. "Love? What does love have to do with it? Marriage is about duty, about responsibility. You think your father and I married for love?"

"I don't want to hear that." Hyun-woo stated flatly, watching as his mother fussed over little Dami, straightening his clothes and brushing his unruly hair back affectionately. "You should be grateful she's given you an amazing grandson,"

Madame Wang roles her eyes as she continued , bouncing Dami lightly on her knee to peals of delighted laughter. "Oh, I am grateful for my precious grandson, make no mistake about that. But that doesn't change the fact that your wife is causing trouble, Hyun-woo-ya."

Hyun-woo sighed, rubbing his temples as she ignored him.

"Regardless, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I don't hate the girl, I just think...you could've had better...options, you know?" His mother mother continued, but she didn't look up from making funny faces at her grandson. "She clearly wants a divorce, just give in."

Opening his arms wide, Hyun-woo smiled as Dami abruptly abandoned his grandmother's lap to crawl enthusiastically towards his father's embrace.

"Halemmoni is being annoying, isn't she? Yes she is," he cooed, peppering the boy's cheeks with loud smacking kisses until he dissolved into a squealing fit of giggles.

Gathering up Dami's discarded toys and stuffing them into the diaper bag, Hyun-woo shot his mother a warning look. "I was open to letting you watch him while I tend to Amirah. But I can't say I trust leaving him with you, eomma. I'll be going to Mi-ok."

" Don't be crazy. I can do a better job than her." Madame Wang waved a dismissive hand. "Amirah isn't a bad girl. She just...sounds unwell. Im not being harsh on the poor girl."