23-

Tae-sik stood before the massive desk, posture respectfully attentive as the patriarch of the Yoon dynasty entered.

Despite his advancing years, Mr.Yoon still cut an imposing figure - his iron-gray hair meticulously groomed. Piercing eyes surveyed Tae-sik from behind wire-rimmed spectacles.

"You may be seated," Yoon stated, voice clipped as he rounded the desk and lowered himself his seat

Tae-sik inclined his head deferentially before taking his own seat across from his father-in-law.

An uncomfortable silence stretched between them as Yoon shuffled through a stack of files and documents. Finally, he extracted a sheaf of papers and slid them across the desk's immense surface.

"These are the prospectuses I want you to review for new potential investment opportunities," he said without preamble. "Pay particular attention to the medical technologies division - I want to expand our portfolio in that arena."

Nodding, Tae-sik scanned the top page, brow furrowing slightly as he took in the details. "Looks like the Wangs are heavily involved in several of these," he commented lightly. " How's this possible without the heir alive? Won't this criminalize the family? Seems like a bright idea."

The imperious look Yoon leveled at him could have withered crops in the field. "Is that meant to be sarcasm I detect, son?"

Tae-sik's polite smile didn't quite reach his eyes as he met the other man's flinty stare. "Not at all, Sir. Just an observation."

"See that it remains just that." Yoon's tone brooked no argument as he steepled his fingers on the desk blotter. "This family has indulged your...predilections for far too long already by allowing that unsuitable marriage to my daughter in the first place."

The accompanying sniff of disdain was unmistakable. Tae-sik's smile grew even more strained, a muscle ticking in his jaw, but he remained silent and impassive under his father-in-law's scrutiny.

"You're here to do a job, Tae-sik," Yoon continued in that same clipped cadence. "Not be a smartass. And you'll comport yourself accordingly while under my purview." He leaned forward slightly, eyes glinting with undisguised warning. "Just as quickly as you married into this family, you can be removed from it. Are we clear?"

For an endless moment, the two men simply regarded each other across the desk - one emanating decades of entitled confidence, the other radiating a tightly leashed menace that seemed to thrum just below the surface.

Then, almost imperceptibly, Tae-sik inclined his head once more in a shallow nod of acquiescence. "Understood, Sir. You can rely on my full cooperation regarding these prospectuses and any other directives you have for me."

He held Yoon's gaze levelly as the older man sniffed again and settled back into his chair, seemingly satisfied with Tae-sik's verbal capitulation for the moment.

"Excellent. See that I can," Yoon stated with an air of finality. "You're dismissed for now."

Rising fluidly to his feet, Tae-sik performed an economical half-bow before turning to make his exit, the thick stack of files tucked under one arm. His hand had just grasped the curved brass handle of the study door when Yoon's voice sliced through the tension like a rapier once more.

"Oh, and Tae-sik?"

Pausing with his back still turned, Tae-sik tilted his head a fraction to indicate he had heard.

"See that your next deal with that group from Singapore, Bancroft? See that you do everything wisely. I want access to their shares."

What Mr.Yoon was implying was what Tae-sik had done for him time and time again - securing investments that benefited them both. At least, that was the way Tae-sik had established his name, being seen as worthy in his father-in-law's eyes.