27-

The modern news studio was bathed in the luminescence of high-definition lighting rigs and an array of high-tech camera equipment. A well-coiffed news anchor sat poised behind the curved desk, eyes fixed intently on the teleprompter.

"Good morning, this is So-hia Kim reporting live for KBC News. "The Yoon Group finds itself in boiling hot water after a series of disturbing videos began circulating online, appearing to show the business dynasty's heiress, Soo-Jin Yoon, physically assaulting a young child."

The screen cut away from the anchorwoman to grainy cell phone footage that immediately kicked the tension in the room up a few notches. It depicted a lavishly appointed bedroom, and a woman who could only be the infamous Soo-Jin towering over a small boy cowering on the floor - raining vicious blows and caustic screams upon his frail form.

"While details are still emerging, the victim's identity remains unknown at this hour. What is clear, however, is that this leaked CCTV evidence could represent a pivotal breakthrough in the firestorm of allegations plaguing one of South Korea's most prominent corporate dynasties."

Mi-ok and the others watched the unfolding broadcast with rapt attention. Diaz leaned forward, elbows braced on her knees as she shook her head slowly.

"Damn...talk about dropping a bomb right on that pompous old bastard's head," the former inmate muttered beneath her breath. "You really went scorched earth on his decrepit ass, didn't you?"

Beside her, Sola snorted indelicately and slapped Mi-ok's shoulder with the back of one hand - drawing an irritated look from the younger woman.

"For real though, this is some next-level, mastermind type shit!" She exclaimed with a broad grin. "Gotta hand it to you - you might just be shadier than even me at this point!"

Mi-ok allowed the compliment to roll off her with an airy wave of one hand, attention focused solely on the news report still unfolding across the room. Her mood more somber than glad.

Captured in the flickering broadcast lights, her normally immaculate features took on a cold, severe aspect as the anchor continued unspooling each new lurid development.

"...and in a separate but potentially related case, we've received reports of additional leaked evidence that may prove instrumental in the eventual exoneration of Amirah Wang - the woman once convicted in the high-profile death of her son, Dami."

The screen transitioned to shaky, heavily time-stamped security camera footage of a woman who could only be Amirah, cradling an infant on one of the elegant couches that currently occupied the den.

"What you're about to see is highly disturbing," the anchor cautioned in a confidential murmur, as if imparting some salacious secret for the viewers' ears alone.

"The heavily edited version of this footage was initially used by the prosecution to wrongfully convict Mrs.Wang...Footage from the Wang family estate appeared to show their housemaid, Yu-ra, acting with clear premeditation to stage the scene that had convinced a jury of Amirah's culpability three years prior."

Everyone watched the fuzzy image of Amirah appear to drift off into an exhausted doze - her swaddled son nestled in the crook of one elbow as her head lolled back against the cushions. Then the time stamp began jumping in uneven increments, hours and minutes blurring past in arcing leaps.

Until finally, the distinctive figure of an older woman in a maid's uniform appeared in the frame, circling Amirah and the infant with an exaggerated pantomime of wariness. She crept closer, rooting around in the diaper bag and various cabinets until she seemed to locate something that satisfied her.