chapter 7: meeting ghislaine

As I strode into the adventurer's guild, the whispers and hushed murmurs followed me like a shadow. I could feel the weight of their gaze upon me, the legendary S class adventurer known far and wide as the Silver Emperor of Undying Flames.

Among the crowd, I spotted Ghislaine, the stoic warrior from the beast race whom I had once saved from the brink of death. Despite her icy demeanor, I knew that she held a certain admiration for me, a sentiment born out of gratitude and perhaps something more.

 Despite her icy demeanor, I knew that she held a certain admiration for me, a sentiment born out of gratitude and perhaps something more

(You're welcome)

Me:Hey, Laine

I greeted her with a friendly smile, using the nickname I had affectionately given her.

She glanced up at me, her red eyes betraying a hint of surprise before she quickly composed herself. "Jason," she replied, her voice devoid of any emotion.

I could sense the tension between us, the unspoken bond that had formed between savior and saved. Despite her aloof exterior, I knew that Ghislaine harbored a deep respect for me, just as I held a certain fondness for her.

Me:How have you been?

I asked, attempting to break through her icy facade and engage her in conversation.

Ghislaine hesitated for a moment, her gaze flickering with uncertainty.

Ghislaine:I've been... adequate

she finally responded, her tone guarded.

I could tell that she was holding back, hiding behind her usual wall of indifference. But beneath the surface, I sensed a glimmer of vulnerability, a desire for connection that she was reluctant to acknowledge.

Me:Anything interesting happening lately?

I prodded, hoping to draw her out of her shell and into a more meaningful conversation.

Ghislaine paused, considering her response carefully.

Ghislaine:Nothing out of the ordinary

she replied, her voice tinged with a hint of resignation.

I could tell that she was struggling to open up, to let down her defenses and allow herself to be vulnerable. But I respected her boundaries, knowing that trust was something that had to be earned, not demanded.

Me:fair enough

I said, offering her a reassuring smile.

As I removed my mask, revealing my strikingly handsome face, I couldn't help but notice the way Ghislaine's cheeks flushed crimson, her red eyes widening in surprise. It was clear that my presence had caught her off guard, stirring up emotions that she struggled to conceal.

I leaned in closer, a mischievous grin playing at the corners of my lips as I teased the older beastman.

Me:You know, you don't have to hide the fact that you love having me around