Chapter 1: Excited and Kind

.

.

.

Manhattan, New York

Friday, February 22, 2019

Zuri

It was the same thing every day, seriously the same damn thing. However, the only rewarding factor is today's last day of class. I love dancing. It makes me so happy but it can be such a pain sometimes.

At first, I used It as an escape and yeah I enjoy it but. I wanted something exciting, I wanted an adventure, and someone to share it with, but it wasn't time for that. So I mustered up some strength and got up.

I'm hell-bent on dancing better. I might as well hone my only skill to perfection besides I feel like my turns were off yesterday.

 I didn't want to be too early so I called Marley up just to have a little chat. We've been friends since our first day at Juilliard. I propped my phone up and started taming my hair. She answered on the first ring.

"Hey Lav."

"Morning lemon!! I'm gonna be in early today, you wanna grab some coffee?"

She answered with a laugh. "Lav coffee at six in the morning is crazy, and why are you always early?"

"It's nice to warm up with some espresso before class," I shouted in defense.

"Oh!, did you hear about the new piano player?"

"What new piano player? I replied.

"Chance said the school enrolled some guy and he would be playing for us from now on. I'm sure Mrs. Lane will talk about it later."

"What about Kate?" I worried

"Honestly Z, I have no clue they won't tell us anything stupid vultures!!"

"That's supper fucked." faculty can be so annoying we care about Kate too.

"Hey don't let it mess with you we'll know more later I'll see you in class. Mama's gotta get this last hour in."

I rolled my eyes "Don't oversleep like yester-"

"THAT WAS A ONE TIME THING ZURI!!"

"Yeah yeah yeah." I dismissed.

"I need a new alarm that's all!!" She rebutted.

"You said that two weeks ago, you know sooner or later we have to address this probl-"

"I'M HANGING UP NOW!!"

Just like magic, she disappeared... she knew I was right sooner or later she would get in trouble "Tardiness is inexcusable!!" 

Mrs. Lane constantly shouts I swear I can still hear it. Finishing up my morning routine. What Marley said about the new piano player was sinking in more and more.

I remember Vicky saying Kate was gonna be fired last week. A while back she wasn't showing up to class. Her mother was so sick. But we still kept in touch. We had all her new music and class was going well. Kate plays so beautifully. She plays super fast. But that's why we like her. Everyone likes a challenge.

As I was packing my bag I called my Uber. I quickly put my leotard and tights on and grabbed some black sweats. Tripping over my Crocs. I grab them and shove 'em into my mess of a bag. I swapped my keys and made my way to the elevator. As soon as I made it to the lobby I was out the

door. Running to the coffee stand two blocks away.

Yes, I'm running to get some coffee. Bite me!

I made it just in time too. Thank the heavens above. I grabbed my usual and like clockwork my Uber arrived.

I was finally on my way to school. Juilliard is the best. I've been going to school there for a year now and it's amazing. My audition had gone by so fast that it was like I hadn't spent two weeks preparing for it. I tried so hard to get in and I made it thank God.

Lost in my thoughts, I hadn't noticed that we had arrived in front of the school. I was nervous about being able to keep up with our new player. It took me a while to get used to Kate. I shook the worry away. There's no time for moping. It's time to dance.

My heart was racing as I made my way through our corridors.. so much talent in such a small place. I thought.

I'm used to the excitement now but it's still cool when I pass the other classes. I make my way to the classroom with beautiful windows and shiny wooden ballet bars. I place my bag down in front of the window.

I look over my shoulder to see a tall man staring at the piano in the corner of the ballet room. He has the body of a UFC fighter. I've never seen clothes so tight. Can he breathe?

 I see the face of a Greek statue, his curly black hair covering his eyes. I try not to stare as much. I see He's looking at some piano charts. All this time I haven't received a "Hello or Good Morning." Until I realized.

I must have entered the room so calmly he didn't notice me. He looks like he doesn't talk much. I would introduce myself but I feel as if he would dismiss me.

 I turn my head towards the window and slowly take my sweats off. I quietly replace them with knee-high legwarmers and shimmy my little skirt on to cover up. I start to stretch.

Watching him closer he looks excited and kind. A faint smile crosses his lips. I feel my cheeks warm.

"He's so adorable," I whisper.

I finished shaking off my sleep. It's so awkward just standing here and staring, So I decided to approach him.

.

.

.

Will our mystery player greet Zuri? Maybe he's nice.

Any thoughts??

Welcome to the Family. I started writing this story when I was in 10th grade. Now its time to revise and finish it. Don't forget to share with your friends. Thank you. :)