Chapter 5: Fuck Dance

.

.

.

Wednesday, February 27, 7:00 am

Zuri

I've never been more excited. auditions are over today and we're gonna find out who's in the spring play. Everyone's beat, honestly, I'm exhausted, my body hurts all over. I pushed hard these last few days.

All the dancers have I can't wait to get some rest. This semester is more harsh than last year combined.

I can't wait until spring break is here. I think I'll sleep my life away. I can't accept zero after giving everything in return for a role. I worked my ass off to be picked for this play. Marley and I need performances on our resumes; we can't accept a loss.

Marley groans. "When is she gonna post the damn list!!"

"I don't know, just wait a sec."

She stands "We all woke up at the ass crack of dawn for some stupid list and she hasn't even posted it."

"Marley, stop screaming." I yanked her down.

"This is too much Z. I need to be on that list. I should've danced in our first year." She buried her face. "I didn't know it would cost so much."

"It's fine you're not the only one, you'll get picked for everything because you're talented Mars. Seriously you don't need early mornings ballet comes naturally to you no one else has that. You're special."

She raises her head in awe. "Sorry, I feel selfish. You deserve to dance this spring too. We all rehearse so hard. You more than any of us."

"This isn't even worth it." She sinks in herself.

"Mars?"

She looks at me with tears. "I hate dancing Z, But my parents, my mom, they want too much, they push too hard. I can't do anything, not writing, painting, or tennis. They get in the way of everything."

Pulling her to the balcony. I shut the door and helped her with her tears.

"What do you want then Mars?"

"I've been taking extra classes."

"At Juilliard?"

"No at NYU."

I smile that she's finally following her plan.

"Interior Design."

"I finally applied. I got a scholarship full ride. I love it, but I still have to dance. It's so much."

"No, you don't." I frown. "They can't keep controlling you."

"Last night she told me that she would kick me out and disown me if I quit Juilliard. But I hate it here. I can't keep pretending. It's draining me." She whimpers.

"Then quit, you don't need them and they don't care about your happiness so they don't deserve you."

"I have nothing without them."

"NO, YOU'RE EVERYTHING AND MORE!!"

"Fuck them and FUCK DANCE. Do what you love and make yourself happy." She hugs me deeply and I squeeze her tighter than ever.

"Come stay with me. You can have the office if I don't use it."

"Zuri, that's too much."

"No, it's just enough. You deserve to get what you want for once." I let her go and wiped her tears one more time.

"You can come whenever you want. My door is always open." She nodded, drying her eyes.

"We should go back. Thank you...for listening to me and listening."

"Always."

I open the door for her and she walks through. The hall is so crowded Mrs. Lane must've posted the list for the dance everyone is gossiping about. Roman comes rushing towards us.

"You guys got both the lead roles."

"That's gonna sting a few crazies. Do you still wanna do it, Mars?"

She smiled saying it could be our last dance together. Roman looked pretty lost so we caught him up. Meanwhile, Vicky seems to be throwing a tantrum.

"Woah." Roman asks "She looks terrifying. Why don't we skip? Today is not on our side and Marley could use some Froyo." It's like a bomb went off one second I'm at school and the next I'm getting dragged to Ben's Fro.

After we ordered and sat down the silence finally ended.

"I'm sorry Marley. I had no idea you were going through this."

"It's fine Ro. Thanks for the Froyo, I needed a break."

"Yeah?"

"Oh you have no idea my life was starting to suck. My mom can be a real witch. I know she hates me."

I didn't know her parents were so hard on her. I hope she feels less trapped now that she has us. I couldn't imagine being overwhelmed like she has.

I hope she decides to stay with me and finally live her life. No one should feel that burdened for so long. I met her mom once and she wasn't nice at all. But I didn't think she could be so heartless towards her child at that.

As if I need another reason to lose my shit the universe fucks me. Here she comes barging into the Froyo shop headed straight for us. This couldn't get any worse...right?

.

.

.

It's about to go down.

Any Thoughts?

Thank you so much for all the support!! Comment your favorite moments below and Don't forget to share EXHALE with your friends. Thank you :)