Chapter 9: Incognito

Putting the purple sunsets on hold for now. Enjoy the red and the new mood ;)

.

.

.

Wednesday April 3rd, 7:57 pm

Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan

Five weeks later.

Roman

It's been days since I got any sleep. Between dance rehearsals and piano lessons I can't keep up. I can't go see my parents because the traffic's barbaric and me and the girls keep postponing our tattoo mission because Chance is scared.

She chickened out and said we should go without her but Marley insists she come.

If we have to reschedule today I'm going to scream. We planned it out perfectly. No one has anything to do but pick out stencils.

I spent the whole day painting Sharon's Kitchen. Luckily our apartment building allows it and I was excited until I opened the paint...she picked the brightest yellow ever I mean I can still see spots.

I could not wait to finish and I vowed that I would never indulge her painting ideas again. She laughed at me for hours but I swear I'm blind.

I was supposed to meet Marley and Z at the Ice Cream Parlor twenty five minutes ago and to top that I got the slowest cab driver in New York.

"Here you go kid." He snorts before looking back at me.

"The parlor is right up the block."

I slap thirty bucks down and rush out.

"HEY WHERE'S MY TIP!"

"Look down, loser."

He brands a middle finger as I exit his cab. I slam the door making my way up the street.

Zuri

"Oh my God." I groaned at the time. "Why is he always late? I mean always."

Marley laughs while sipping her margarita. "He can't help it Z."

She takes another sip. "He has a life too, you know. He was helping paint a friend's kitchen today."

"What." I shake my head in confusion. She shrugged while taking another sip.

"Geez Marley slow down. You're not puking on my carpet."

"Shut up! I won't."

I can't help but roll my eyes. "That's what you said last time."

She groans, getting annoyed. "Zuri, can you lay up?"

"Hell no you moved in seeking independence not an alcohol habit. Lay off the booze."

She slams her drink, spilling it on her blouse.

"Dude, I haven't even been drinking that much. What the fuck is your problem. You've always been the party girl."

I sighed. "Mars you've been drinking like everyday. You smelled like vodka in rehearsals yesterday and I found some bottles in your trash."

She looked distraught. Me and Roman were going to talk to her. She's been spiraling since the fight with her parents. I think she finally broke. Or maybe she's feeling her newfound freedom out.

Either way it's destructive and I think she knows it. I tried mentioning it in March but she didn't budge. I know I'm not crazy who spends a whole month drinking and partying.

I don't know what to do.

Maybe I shouldn't have helped. Did I do too much?

My eyes start burning and tears start falling.

"Marley, you have to see where this path is leading." I beg.

"Don't knock yourself down before you have a chance at making it your way."

She finishes her drink and orders another one.

I pressed my lips together and slumped down, dropping my head. My friend is falling apart and I can't help her.

So I stand and leave. Turning back to see her ordering more drinks. I stumbled out of the shop and down the street wiping my infinite tears.

Roman

I turned a corner, finally making it to the parlor. I couldn't even make it in before I saw her. Crying like her dog died. I ran up to her, grabbing her hand.

"Hey Zuri, slow down. Sorry I'm late, slow driver. Are we still doing the intervention?" She didn't say anything. Just cried. I peek in the window.

Marley's ordering and drinking. I lead Zuri down the street away from the crazy. She folds into me, wrapping her arms around me.

"It's not your fault Z." She shakes her head.

"I shouldn't have been so gullible. It did more harm than good."

I squeezed her tighter. "Stop it. She'll find her way back and let it go." I hold her head in my hands.

She nods reluctantly and hugs me to the point that I can't even imagine her letting go. She never has anyone to fall back on.

"I got you Z."

"We'll help her together." I assured her.

I know Marley's trying to self medicate. She's angry her parents couldn't be normal and loving from the moment they met her. I understand her frustration.

Sometimes all you can do is hope nothing bad ever happens to you.

"We're all going to be fine."

"I promise."

.

.

.

Things are definitely getting crazy. Marley can't cope with her losses and her friends are running out of options that can help. Will she be able to do the spring dance? Will everyone catch a break? Or are things just getting started?

Any Thoughts??

Thanks for all the supports. Don't forget to comment your favorite moments. Share EXHALE with your friends. Let's get back to it guys :)