4.

TARAJI

TARAJI

I stood outside of my ex's house, anxiously looking around the street and tapping my foot as I waited for him to come to the door. I only see one car in the driveway, and it looks like the car that he always told me he wanted, so hopefully that means that he lives alone, or if he does have a wife or a girlfriend, hopefully she's not here. When the door finally opened, my heart must have dropped to my ass. Time had been kind to him physically. His body was in tip-top shape and his face was still so handsome. The sight of him nearly took my breath away. Did my absence not affect him at all? He looks so happy and healthy. The selfish, narcissistic part of myself was hoping that he would still be torn up about me after all of these years. But looking at his house and his car and his body, it seems like he's thriving without me. It looks like he's gotten some new tattoos since I last saw him. I've always loved his tattoos. He would love when I would kiss every single one of them. I didn't realize how much I missed him until I laid eyes on him again.

Tyrese: Taraji?

Tyrese: Taraji?

His face fell and his eyes were empty of any light as if he had seen a ghost. I could tell by his expression that he was silently reminiscing on everything we had been through together before I went in. I was doing the same thing. Maybe I would have avoided going to prison altogether if I would have just allowed him to love me and soften me up the way he wanted to. I knew that he was a real man and he would protect me, because he never failed to show me that, but something dark and painful inside of me wouldn't allow him to take the lead as my man. I have deep issues with control that I've never really unpacked or explored. It's just who I am. Ty never faulted me for it. He always tried to understand me, but I made that too difficult for him on purpose.

Tyrese: Oh my God. I didn't know you got out.

Taraji: Nobody knows.

Tyrese: When did you get out?

Taraji: Yesterday. I've been staying in a hotel. My parents don't know.

Tyrese: You know your parents still invite me to their weekly Sunday dinners?