Chapter 3

⠀ ∧,,,∧ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀( ̳• · • ̳) ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀/ ♡           ⩇⩇:⩇⩇

The rest of the afternoon passes by as they plan out what to include in the documentary. They discuss a few interview spots in the university campus and some in the cafe where he works. Surprisingly, the cafe is owned by Professor Jaemin, who also happens to be his uncle. No wonder, the cafe and the culinary arts building share a similar aroma.

The documentary won't be like those award-winning films; Yewon just needs to portray his daily life and passion for baking. After planning the recording dates, she closes the laptop and lets out a yawn.

"Finally done!" Soobin exclaims, stretching his legs. He looks at Yewon, who's leaning against the edge of the sofa with her eyes shut. "We didn't even start, Soobin."

Silently, he shifts his position and turns towards her, resting his head on his hand. He gently traces her messy bangs, her thin lashes close together, her cute little nose, and then her lips. Soobin turns away immediately, watching her get up from the floor.

"It's already six. have dinner and go," Yewon remarks, grabbing her phone and checking out dinner meals to order. "Let's get some drinks first... coffee?"

"Do they have beer?" he innocently inquires.

Yewon raises an eyebrow, "Beer? Honestly? And you?"

Soobin shrugs and moves closer to her, peeking at her phone screen and scrolling through the menus. His hand brushes against hers as he checks on the items he wants to buy. Amidst his only wishes to get beer and tteokbokki, Yewon's heart beats rapidly. His hair tickles her cheek as he leans closer to her side. The fresh, sweet smell of cinnamon and coffee is evident from him despite wearing Beomgyu's clothes. Yewon slowly drags her hand away from under his palms and tries her best to hold the phone.

"Stay still ; you are moving the phone," he speaks softly, grabbing her other hand. "Kay, I'm done!"

"Hmm?" she asks, still flustered at the proximity.

"I'm done choosing my stuff," he repeats again, turning to face her.

Yewon looks at the basket to see what he added, and she proceeds to get the same items and checks out. The next few minutes feel awkward, with her unable to strike a conversation with him sitting so close. Soobin, on the other hand, scrolls through his phone, replying to some texts. She curses Beomgyu for not coming home early. The universe probably heard her because the apartment door passkey beeps.

"Beomgyu must be here," she sighs with relief and gets up. The boy walks in, drained and tired from the last year of high school and CSAT preps. "How was your day, Beom?" she asks, taking the heavy school bag away from his shoulders. Beomgyu lazily removes his shoes and shoves them into the rack and walks in. Beomgyu's steps falter when he sees Soobin chilling in their living room. All the laziness vanishes, and he runs towards him, smacking his petite figure over the older boy and embracing him in a hug.

"You finally decided to come and meet me, huh?" Beomgyu grins, shaking his shoulder in a little dance.

"Ah!" Soobin gasps, looking back and forth between him and Yewon, "Yeah... I came to meet you !" he lies, not wanting to disappoint Beomgyu. After all, he was so happy.

"Your wishful thinking," Yewon rolls her eyes, "He came to plan out his documentary."

Busted.

Beomgyu crosses his arms over his chest and stares at Soobin, asking for an explanation. Yewon devilishly chuckles after putting Soobin in a tight spot. She plops down on the couch, crossing her legs and observes the drama. The home finally feels lively; Beomgyu's dark interior design obsession made the house look soulless, but he himself lightens it up with his jokes and giggles.

Soobin nervously scratches the back of his neck, "Hey, go and get washed up first. You stink," he commands, trying to divert the topic.

"Oh, now you're gonna command me in my own house?"

"I was the president, okay?"

"Now you aren't, okay?"

"I'm still older than you."

"How do you fit in my clothes, then?"

Yewon shakes her head, "Stop bickering, you two! Soobin, you're older; at least you shouldn't argue with him."

"If you say so, my lady," he shrugs his shoulders and smiles at Beomgyu as a sign of peace and retortment.

⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅★

"Hmm, this angle looks fine," she whispers to herself, setting the tripod across the kitchen counter.

"Shall I start?" he inquires, tying his apron ribbon at the back. Yewon gives a nod of approval and focuses the camera lens on him, moving around the kitchen to place the ingredients on the countertop.

"Going basic. Croissants for the start," he says, measuring a few cups of flour and sifting them in a bowl. He adds a few other ingredients that seem like baking powder, salt, and sugar. As he skillfully prepares the ingredients in the dimly lit kitchen, tiny flecks of flour dance in the air like fairy dust and gently settle on his hair, lending charm to his already attractive aura. Yewon covers her mouth, letting out a silent yawn. Her eyes are still puffy from waking up at six. It's Saturday morning, and he's supposed to bake fresh croissants for the cafe. A perfect busy day to document and lots of content, but she's barely able to keep her eyes open.

"Are you usually this quiet, or is it because it's early in the morning?" she asks, grabbing a stool from the side and sitting on it.

Soobin rolls out the dough and spreads a layer of butter and folds it back again. "Hmm, baking needs your attention in every step, so I prefer to stay quiet," he explains, "but if you need me to speak for the documentary, I can do that."

Yewon shakes her head, "I want to capture the real you, so be yourself."

The next few hours get busy. Weekends always bring in more customers, especially university students who often gather in the cafe to work on their projects and blind dates set up by their roommates.

"Only if Aunt was here, things would've been less stressful," Soobin sighs, busily moving around the kitchen, taking out a hot tray of freshly baked bread.

"I can help you slice them!" Yewon offers as she watches him run nervously against the time limit, thirty minutes before the cafe opens.

Soobin turns towards her and stares for a moment, questioning whether she'll be reliable or not. She gives a clumsy smile with a thumbs up. He smiles back and passes on the knife to her.

"All should be the same thickness," he explains, holding the knife with her as they slice the bread.

"Noted, Chef!" she replies enthusiastically and gets to work. Cooking for Beomgyu almost every day has made her a reliable cook, though their dishes aren't gourmet; they're certainly edible enough for the two of them to not sleep while starving.

Meanwhile, Soobin hurriedly rolls up the window blinds, allowing sunlight to flood the cafe. He neatly arranges the desserts and snacks in the display fridge he had baked earlier. He turns on the aircon and sprays a coffee scented freshener around the room. Back in the kitchen, Yewon already finished slicing a batch of bread and neatly placed them on a charming wooden tray.

"Do you want to make kaya jam toast now?" he quirked an eyebrow, a mischievous smirk playing on his lips.

Yewon found his gestures amusing. "Why not?" she shrugs her shoulders, letting out a laugh, and follows him. Soobin gently guides her through the process of cutting the bread slices more thinly and toasting them to a golden brown colour. He pulls out a block of butter from the freezer and places it on the counter, asking her to slice a small piece. She attempts to slice the hard block of butter, her knife struggling to pass through the frozen fat, before finally giving in. With Soobin taking over, she quickly returns to the camera and starts recording his movements as he skillfully spreads the butter onto the toasted bread slices.

"Do you have the butter to your toast?" Soobin inquires, glancing at the camera.

She tilts her head and shifts the frame to capture him. "What's that?"

"Well, if you don't, I can be the butter to your toast," he grins, leaning against the counter, and passing her a quarter of the kaya jam toast, "Have some. Made with love."