Chapter 4

⠀ ∧,,,∧ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀( ̳• · • ̳) ⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀/ ♡           ⩇⩇:⩇⩇

"You are not yourself,"

I kneel down beside the couch, my vision blurry as tears form in my eyes. He steps forward making me instinctively stride back.

"Please," I plead, attempting to get up, "Stop it,"

His chuckle rings in my ears, "c'mon Yewon. You're not that weak." another glass drops on the floor, their shards close to my bare knees.

"Stop. Don't come closer," I cry, "please,"

Yewon jerks up from her sleep, all sweaty and breathless. Sitting upright she adjusts herself between the pillows and calms herself down. A single tear drop rolls down her cheeks.

"Oh god, I cant cry now," her voice breaks in between. Yewon grabs her phone from the bedside table and goes through her texts and schedules to stop thinking about the past again. The same nightmares which keep haunting her. Though for the past few months she had been having less of those dreams, it still makes her days worse. The trust she had lost to find love all over again was never gonna come back. The nineteen year old Yewon scarred the twenty one year old Yewon too.

She wonders where things had gone wrong with her toxic ex when a knock on the door brings her back. Beomgyu quietly peeps in, a smile flashing across his face, "You're already awake?" he asks, coming in and perching himself on the edge of her bed.

"I'm going to school." he says, "I might be late for some festivals..."

"Yeah okay," she replies nonchalantly about it while playing with her fingers.

"I'm talking to you," he speaks a little louder trying to get her attention.

Yewon hums, nodding. "I know."

"You had another nightmare?" Beomgyu finally asks, causing her to look up at him, "You know you can tell me. If you're still having a hard time moving on-"

"Beomgyu. You will be late for school," she cuts him off and gets out of the bed. "I'm going to take a shower,"

Sighing, he stands up and casts one look at her pale face. "I made breakfast as a good brother. Make sure to eat it before you leave," he says before closing the door behind him.

Yewon searches through her closet for a new pair of outfits to wear to campus today. The least thing she would want to hear early morning is her younger brother lecturing her about her PTSD. A cold shower is the only thing that would relieve her from this stress and forget about the nightmare. In between she rethinks her relationship with Beomgyu. As the older sister it hurts how she probably has been worrying that kid when his CSATS are coming up. She casts a look on her reflection, the light faded scars of the bruises over her collarbone and arms. She gently traces over them with her bare hands. A silent cry leaves her mouth as the water masks her tears. Yewon hated the feeling of being weak and seeing herself cry was her biggest weakness. But not when she wouldnt know if those were her tears or just the cold water raining down on her.

Whilst Yewon tried to balance her mindset and move on from the past in the span of 30 minutes while taking a quick cold shower, her friends were waiting down at her apartment building. She had put on a full sleeved black turtleneck top to cover her scars and matched them with a pair of loose black jeans. She contemplated whether to wear her blazer or not when her phone started ringing.

"Give me a minute, jinie," she spoke over the phone, slinging the camera over her shoulders, "I'm on my way,"

She grabbed the toasted butter that Beomgyu had placed on the dining table (half burnt) and shoved it into her mouth.Quickly taking a sip of the milk she made her way out of the room.

"Gosh, you took ages," Iseul whined, linking her arms with Yewon and dragging her out of the building.

"We will be late now. The cafe will get crowded noo," Yunjin towered over the two, "and your outfit seems very unsuitable for this weather Yewon,"

"Oh shit. Forgot my blazer because of your calls" she blamed as they crossed the street, "and what cafe?"

The girls hummed in unison, giving a mischievous smile to Yewon. All she could do was go along with them and get her thoughts somewhere else. Skipping classes and doing nothing would just make her feel down all over again. Yewon really had to be thankful for having Yunjin and Iseul as her friends. Though they act impulsively, somehow their carelessness helped her heal. Walking with them down the street, linking arms and talking about silly things made her quickly get over the earlier nightmare.

And soon a familiar spot came in sight as she stood on the other side of the street.

YEWON

Crescent Cafe stood right across the street and I could figure out the bustling that was soon going to start. How could I forget Soobin had told me that they had launched a new fall drink and it was getting quite popular around the campus. All this while, Yunjin and Iseul were also under the hype to try out the new drinks...or maybe not. They seemed like they had other plans for coming here.

"Even after showering early in the morning, she looks so pathetic," I hear Yunjin complain. Her cold fingers slide around my neck and bluntly unties my hair.

"Yunjin!" I hiss before Iseul comes up and sets my bangs in place. Before I knew it, the two were giving me a whole makeover in the middle of the street. I see a few guys turning back to see what was happening here. They apply a light tint of red on my lips and the same to spread over my cheeks giving it some colour.

"Her eyes are always pretty so let's leave them as it is," Iseul grins, shoving back her makeup pouch and linking arms with me again.

"What did you guys just-"

"Ayeh, the light is green," Yunjin cuts me off and drags me to cross the road. I take a quick look at my phone's reflection to make sure they didn't pull a Halloween clown joke over me. "I kinda look good,"

We three walk into the cafe, as the raw coffee bean smell welcomes us. The bell chimes making the cashier look up and smile at us. And for some reason, I'm disappointed to not see the same person. I hear the two sigh beside me.

"All that work to see a granny," Iseul rolls her eyes and walks up to the counter.

"C'mon be respectful. That's Soobin's aunt," I whisper giving a quick smile to Mrs. Lee.

"Your future aunt in law?" she glints up and immediately bows towards her.

My eyes widen at her, making me look back to Yunjin for an explanation but she on the other hand was flattering Mrs Lee talking about how great of a photographer I am. Yunjin orders three sets of the new drinks and croissants for us while me and Iseul take the table at our usual corner of the cafe. It was such a cute spot outlooking the road which was still muddy from last night's rain and autumn leaves scattered all around. I take a peek again at the counter to see if Soobin was there. Sadly, there was no sight of his tall figure.

Why are you looking for him?

Yunjin happily skips up to us with our drinks on a tray and settles it down on the table."Sadly, your prince slept at five because he was making a fresh batch of croissants and bread," she remarks passing me my drink.

Clearing my throat, I inquire, "Who are you talking about?"

"Oh you very well know who baby," she smirks pointing at my phone which was lighting up from a call.

Choi Soobin read on the screen and my heart was pounding. What could he be calling for now? Calls from other people beside them two and Beomgyu always made my heart pound, but this time i feel like it was aiming to win a marathon.

"Hello?" I speak anticipating a response from the other end.

"Hey, Yewon?" I could figure out his half asleep raspy voice. Yunjin and Iseul scoot closer to me, sipping on their drinks.

"Yes. It's me, what did you call for?" I ask, trying to converse like a normal person while my insides feel like screaming at that voice.

"I'll come with you home today,"