9 ➟ Caring

"What's happening, oppa?"

"Shh, Jiji..."

Jaeyun peeked his head around the corner of the fence they were crouched behind, giving Jieun the urge to do the same as her older brother. He still had his schoolbag hanging to his one shoulder by a single strap, the other probably having slipped off in the haste that he had pulled Jieun aside on their way home.

Noticing the visibility of urgent fear in her brother's eyes - her eighth-grade mind was too familiar with such a situation for her own good - Jieun managed to deduce that their parents had some special guests over again.

Although they had armed Jaeyun with his own gun, he disliked taking it out on any occasion, especially when he was with Jieun. Although he was only fourteen at the time, he was mature enough to know neither him nor his sister were old enough to be exposed to such a weapon.

The young girl snuck beside her brother's arm, successfully managing to sneak a glance at what he was looking at.

There was an unfamiliar vehicle in front of their home and two well-dressed men standing on their front porch.

"Are they good or bad?"

Jieun clung to Jaeyun's blazer as she whispered the question to him, neither the slight tremble in her grasp nor the wavering of her voice able to mask the uneasiness she was feeling when she looked at the men.

About two seconds of contemplative seconds passed before Jaeyun shifted his body back to the safety of behind the fence, pulling Jieun along with him.

Once the unsettling image was out of both of their sights, Jaeyun held his sister's shoulders to ensure all her focus was on him and smiled assuringly at her.

"I accidentally forgot some textbooks at school. Can you come with me to fetch them quickly?"

He asked her in a tone completely different to the mood he had proven himself to be feeling just a minute earlier, helping her realize his true intentions with that suggestion.

Without waiting for her response, Jaeyun speedily paced down the block, practically dragging Jieun along with him.

Although she was pretty sure he knew how much of the situation she was aware of, Jieun could never help but feel grateful for how her brother acted in situations like this one. Such an escape would usually last until the sun had set, the siblings spending the rest of the day hovering around the school or a friend's house.

She was perfectly knowledgeable of the dangerous nature of their parents' job, never interested enough to ask too many questions about the details, though.

As concerned as she was for her safety, a small part of Jieun always secretly hoped they would see a stranger's vehicle by their home when they left school together, just so she could spend the day out with her brother.

=

*click*

Jieun's eyes shot open at the sound, drowsiness squeezed out of her head like a washcloth.

Sitting bolt upright, her gaze struck the door immediately to see a slightly startled Rina, who sent a smile her way as she stepped in and closed the door behind herself.

"Didn't mean to scare you."

Jieun breathed out and massaged her forehead, swaying her head slightly to one side.

"It wasn't you..."

She mumbled under her breath, the nostalgic dream reappearing in her head when she tried to identify the reason for her alertness.

"Well..."

Rina chirped, stepping closer to Jieun's bed as her arms swung with each step she took.

"Taehyun said he might be able to help you in a little while. I thought you'd want to know."

Jieun quickly lifted her head, suddenly remembering what her true intentions were. It almost made her upset to realize that she was so comfortable while on such an important mission.

"Really?"

Rina seemed pleased by Jieun's enthusiasm, a smile spreading on her face as she confirmed with a nod.

"Yeah, you seem excited. Also, I made you breakfast.."

Her head turned towards the door for a second, as if she'd be able to see the topic of conversation from where she was. She looked back at Jieun after a second, smiling sheepishly as she rubbed the back of her neck.

"I wasn't sure what you liked, so there's a few things you can choose from."

Jieun's jaw was agape from surprise, the gesture completely unexpected on her end.

Why is she being so nice?

Is this a trick?

"Why.. would you do that?"

She asked quietly, the mistrust in her mind fortunately managing to stay separate from her tone. Rina chuckled softly, shaking her head assuringly.

"It wasn't a big deal, I always make the food.. Plus, I doubt anything you don't want will last the day anyway."

Nevertheless, Jieun couldn't wrap her head around the kindness Rina was showing, torn between thinking she wanted something from her and hoping she was simply being caring towards her.

rina such a sweetie pie
what did you think???

a vote is highly appreciated <33