Chapter 6 : "Bound by Adversity"

Tashi chuckled at the memory of their disastrous attempt at cooking ema datshi. "Remember the last time we tried making ema datshi?" he teased.

Dechen laughed, recalling the spicy disaster. "That was quite an adventure."

With determination, they decided to give it another try, being extra careful with the chili this time. After a playful cooking session, they enjoyed their meal together, savoring the simple joy of sharing a delicious dish.

Their laughter turned to solemnity as they watched news coverage of a school shooting in Serbia. The chilling resemblance to their own lives left them feeling unsettled and vulnerable.

Despite the heaviness of the news, they found solace in a Bhutanese movie, laughing at the exaggerated acting and finding distraction from the grim reality outside.

In each other's company, they were able to momentarily forget the troubles of the world, finding comfort and laughter amidst uncertainty.

As they walked along the viewpoint, Tashi brought up the unsettling topic of the school shooting they had seen on the news.

"Do you ever worry about something like that happening at our school?" he asked, his tone tinged with concern.

Dechen nodded, her expression reflecting the weight of the issue. "It's hard not to, especially with everything going on in the world."

Tashi reached for Dechen's hand, offering reassurance. "I think we need to look out for each other more, you know? Like, be each other's shield."

Determined, Dechen agreed. "Absolutely. We'll look out for each other, no matter what."

With a playful spirit, Tashi pulled out his camera, capturing the moment with a quick snapshot of Dechen against the scenic backdrop.

"What are you doing?" she asked, amused by his antics.

"Just preserving the memory," Tashi replied with a grin. "You look great against this backdrop."

As they continued their walk, Tashi felt grateful for their friendship and the ability to capture moments together.

Taking a moment to rest, Tashi and Dechen sat down, gazing out at the view before them.

"You know," Tashi began, voicing his concerns about returning to school after recent events.

Understanding his worries, Dechen reassured him. "I think as long as we stick together and support each other, we can handle whatever comes our way."

Feeling reassured by Dechen's words, Tashi smiled. "We've faced challenges before, and we've always come out stronger because we have each other's backs."

With a shared determination, they exchanged a smile, knowing they could face anything as long as they faced it together.

Playfully, Tashi struck a pose at Dechen's suggestion, earning a laugh from her.

"Alright, how's this?" he asked, playfully showcasing his modeling skills.

Dechen grinned, amused by his antics. "Perfect," she declared, appreciating his lightheartedness.

They enjoyed the moment and each other's company. Tashi and Dechen felt a sense of peace and strength in their friendship, knowing they could navigate whatever challenges lay ahead as long as they had each other.

In the cozy ambiance of their favorite spot, Tashi and Dechen savored their snack, enveloped in the warmth of their friendship. When Tashi's phone buzzed with his cousin's call, he hesitated, glancing at Dechen before deciding to ignore it, prioritizing their time together. Dechen's grateful smile spoke volumes, acknowledging Tashi's choice with silent appreciation.