Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

5: The Song and the Sea

Captain Edgeson was in the crow's nest. He'd often climb up to the most secluded part of the ship and listen to the ocean. It had always calmed him, soothed him, carried him away on each wave of sound. Now, however, he heard the underlying voices. Those that taunted him. Whispered to him. He couldn't understand why he'd never heard them before. He had spent most of his life on water, yet had always thought the sea was his home. Now, he realised, it had been a prison.

Now, he realised, it was time to break out!

The ocean spread out before them, a seemingly unending blanket, being tugged in various directions by unseen hands attempting to cover themselves up against the cold. He needed something to do. A task, a treasure or a monster. An island to explore or a tribe to befriend. Something to say Captain Rick Edgeson went out with a bang. Something to say he mattered.

But the water continued to continue. His home was behind him, but in front was only the sea. As the time passed, he became increasingly frustrated. He'd given random orders to turn this way and that, to trace a meandering path, hoping to chance across this 'something' he craved. It was as if the world was hiding. It was waiting for him to disappear into the distance before coming, once more, into view. It felt his need and deliberately hid so he was unable to fulfil that need.

"The men are getting restless," said Blake quietly.

Rick jumped, startled. He'd been lost in his thoughts and hadn't heard the first mate climb into the crow's nest beside him.

"What?" he said. "Restless? Why?"

"Captain, you've had us sailing in all directions, but with no direction. Where are we going? What are we doing?"

Rick didn't know. He assumed he'd know when he saw it, but what if 'it' never appeared?

"You'll know when we get there," he said.

Blake shook his head.

"You know the men are with you one hundred percent, Captain," he said. "But they need an idea of what they're doing. If there's any mystery, it makes them antsy."

"If they don't just do as I tell them, their antsy can leave my ship!"

Blake frowned. His captain was never like this. He was transparent and always let his men know what they were doing. Even if the instructions were a little strange or he was taking them into danger, they didn't mind and would follow him to their death. It was only fair to them to not have any secrets. Secrets had a habit of sinking a ship easier than any rocks or pirates. They ate into the hearts of the crew and rotted the timbers. Secrets had no place aboard ship and Captain Edgeson knew this.

"Sir, I have to insist..."

"Blake!" Rick retorted. "I have to insist you let me lead my men as I see fit! They'll have their answers soon enough! Now leave me!"

"Aye, Captain," said Blake. He turned, his face hard, and exited the nest. Let the captain behave like the prince he always seemed so intent on not being. He'd soon see how far he'd be able to push the crew. As first mate, he was meant to be the middle man between crew and captain. It was a role he very rarely needed to carry out as relations on the ship were usually smooth and friendly. Something had gotten inside the captain's tunic, however, and the men would want to know what, exactly, that was.

And he dreaded having to stand in the way when their curiosity turned into mutiny. They were good men, but you could only push them so far without them pushing back. Prince or captain or both, Edgeson was neither untouchable nor unreachable. He was in charge but he still had to answer to those below him. As for Blake, he owed the captain his life - a debt instigated by a giant squid, a sharp blade and a deep breath. He would take no part in a mutiny, but he would have to find a way to support the crew and Captain Edgeson at the same time and try to divert any conflicts.

icon lock

Show your support for Shaun Allan, and continue reading this story

by Shaun Allan
@ShaunAllan
Princess Aren is determined to make the human who killed her mother...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 49 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @ShaunAllan.