Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

The Beast and his Beauty

Beauty.

Is it skin deep? Do you have to peel back layers of scales from your tail to see what shines inside? I don't, actually, think you do. The most physically atractive people can be the ugliest you could ever meet. You'd almost think they were human rather than merfolk. But, sharks are judged by their teeth every day.

It's a crazy world. You have to just keep swimming.

A classic tale of this very subject is, of course, Beauty and the Beast. Written in 1740 but French novelist Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve, but based on stories even older (for example, Cupid and Psyche from the 2nd century AD), it's captured many a heart and imagination. Of course, we all know it, Disney ensured that. A man turned into a beast with only a 'true love's kiss' to cure him of his hideous appearance.

It feels like the Kraken on an off day. Not that the Kraken has many 'on' days.

Speaking of Disney, just as they did with Cinderells, Maleficent (great film), The Jungle Book (epic!) and, soon, something called The Little Mermaid (sounds familiar...), they are creating a live action version of the film. Emma Watson will be playing Belle with Dan Stevens being the Beast. The mighty Sir Ian McKellen, Ewan McGregor and Kevin Kline join them. The movie is highly anticipated, of course, and I can't wait for them to allow us to watch it here in the asylum.

In the meantime, the makers of the film, on the BeautyandtheBeastUK profile (how cool that they're on Wattpad?) have set up a competition. Yup, if you're in the UK, you are invited to write a story!

The prompt is:

What does beauty mean to you? To celebrate the upcoming release of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, we are inviting you to channel Belle's love of reading and to write a short story in 1,000 words or less about owning what makes you different. Either tag your story #BeautyandtheBeast, or share it in the comments below, for the opportunity to be featured on this profile! It's your chance to show the world the beauty of words.

They give a couple of wonderful examples from the incomparable fallzswimmer and reekles, both amazing writers and truly 'beautiful' people - I've had the pleasure to meet them both (but don't tell the Korel sentries or they'll wonder how I got past them!).

Some guy called shaunallan - do you know him? - has written a story for it too, which he wanted to write for his daughter who was bullied, in part, because of her appearance. It's called Daughter (http://my.w.tt/UiNb/hulu8ZqSvB), if you fancy giving it a go. Either way, give your support to the #BeautyAndTheBeast contest. Let's see what wonders you create and good luck.

Oh, quick. My father, King Trinity, is coming! Swim!

Best regards

Aren