Chapter 1: Red Riding Hood

Running as quickly as she could, Selvina glanced back, her golden tresses veiling some of her view. Six men with axes, swords, and bow and arrows were in hot pursuit, hooting and hollering as if they were mad. An arrow streaked by, narrowly missing her left ear, and she let out a scream. She grabbed the sky blue dress she wore and lifted it higher, allowing for greater strides. Her lungs pounded against her tight corset and she found herself out of breath as the tiring run taxed her greatly. She had never been the fastest girl and had never really liked running all that much either and it was painfully noticeable.

She had never planned on running and was utterly not dressed for the part. She had been rehearsing her lines for the school play, one that a famous theater director was rumoured to be attending. She had the part of the Snow Queen, outfitted in a dress of a shade of blue that resembled ice with nearly transparent lace at the hem and sleeves. Her best friend, Gemma, had the part of the queen's sister and Selvina wondered what she'd think of her now. She had never missed a rehearsal or any event related to the play. She had poured her heart and soul into her part and hoped to one day make a living acting out stories. Broadway had called her name since she had been a small child and she had wanted to impress the director so much that he'd beg to get her to work for him.

Now, however, none of that would happen.

She felt her head get light and she slowed to a stop, gripping her corset and pulling it outward as much as she could, hoping to allow more air to fill her lungs. It helped but by the time she was ready to run once more she found herself surrounded by the six men.

"Who do you think ye are to let loose our shiny unicorn like that?" asked a mostly toothless man, his face full of wrinkles and scars. "Woulda' fetched us a pretty coin, it would!"

Selvina stood up and eyed each man in turn, her face pale in terror and her heart racing. "I...I saw that it was in pain and...well, all I did was cut the rope a little. It was digging into its legs..."

"Ha!" laughed another man, this one large and bearded. "We've got ourselves a bleeding heart here. You workin' for The Hood?"

Selvina shook her head. "Who?"

"Look at her," said a short man with a lazy eye. "She don't look like no one workin' for The Hood. She's outta' breath and barely ran a mile. She's just some dumb traveller."

The sound of hooves pounding on the dirt road everyone stood on alerted them to a rider. It was a woman—an elderly woman—and she was dressed in leather hunting garb. The only reason Selvina knew what she wore were the memories of a play she had acted in which consisted of rangers and medieval hunters. She looked like one, but appeared much too old to do any hunting.

"Oy, lads," said the tallest man of the group. He wasn't handsome but Selvina found him easier to look at than the others. "Mum's here so you all stay quiet." He gestured to Selvina as he looked up at the old woman. "What do you make of her? She set free our unicorn. We've been hunting that thing for years!"

The old woman set her eyes on Selvina and narrowed them maliciously. "Who are you, girl? Why would you rob us of such a treasure?"

Selvina felt as cold as the ice her dress was supposed to represent. She gulped down some of the fear that gripped her tightly and, her opal eyes wide and unblinking, said, "Well, it was in pain, like I said. I...I just wanted to help it. I didn't mean to anger anyone, ma'am."

The old woman raised an eyebrow. "Ma'am? Don't call me ma'am, child. Grandmother will do."

"But...you're not..."

"I said Grandmother will do."

Selvina pursed her lips together and nodded.

Grandmother sighed deeply and eyed the men standing around her. "What should we do with her, boys?" She then examined the young girl as well as she could from her position, noting her expensive-looking dress, her well-brushed hair that appeared as smooth as silk and her fair and milky skin. She was clearly no lowly peasant. "Should we sell her?"