Chapter 7: The Little Mermaid

Selvina climbed out of her small bed and meandered through the narrow space between all the bunks where she and the rest of the crew slept. It stank of sweat, body odour and passed wind. Crinkling her nose and holding her breath, she walked through the dim quarters to the light streaming down from the open hatch on the main deck. She then climbed the ladder leading up the opening and poked her head out, blinking her eyes from the intensity of the bright sun. After climbing out, she walked up the steps to the quarterdeck where she found Sinbad at the wheel. She furrowed her brow in confusion while watching him hold Red back with a hand on one of her arms, the both of them staring at something further down the deck.

"He's going to get himself killed, Sinbad!" Red was saying through clenched teeth. Her blue eyes were wide and she appeared incredibly concerned. She struggled to free herself from Sinbad's grip but he held her tightly. "Let me go! It'll be your fault if Captain Hook gets killed!"

Sinbad gave her a wink and smirked. "He won't get hurt, fire-haired one. He knows what he's doing. Just watch."

Wanting to know what was going on, Selvina followed their gazes and gasped when she saw what the commotion was about. Standing amidships was Captain Hook and Bigbad. The large wolf was seated on his haunches and was eyeing the captain intently. The captain held in his right hand what looked like a piece of meat. Jack stood beside him, holding a bag which Selvina only guessed was more meat. Every time Bigbad tried to snap his jaws over the meat chunk in the captain's hand he'd receive a sharp smack on his muzzle. The wolf's ears would bend back but he would lower his head, as if shamed. Many of the crewmen aboard the ship were watching with smiles on their faces.

Selvina couldn't help but smile as well. Captain Hook was training Bigbad the wolf like a dog. She quietly walked down the steps and crossed the deck to stand beside Jack. He gave her a smile, which she returned with a blush, and the two watched the captain in action.

"Now you listen here, Bigbad," Captain Hook was saying, his voice stern and authoritative. "Lad, you need to take this out of my hand nicely. I'll have no rude wolves on my ship." He showed the wolf the piece of meat and Bigbad went to clamp his teeth over it quickly. A loud smack was heard as Captain Hook hit the wolf's muzzle with his left hand and both Jack and Selvina winced. Bigbad's ears flattened and he peeled back his lips, showing his sharp fangs.

"You won't intimidate me with those, boy," the captain said, lowering the piece of meat. "I've told you already that if you want this meat you need to do as I say. My hand is faster than your mouth so you're wasting your time trying to take it from me. Take it nicely. Do you understand?" Selvina watched Captain Hook stare into the wolf's glowing blue eyes deeply. The two gazed at each other for several long moments as if having a mental conversation. She saw Bigbad's ears stand up and his entire body relax. Something had happened but she didn't know what.

Captain Hook lifted the piece of meat toward the wolf and the large animal sniffed it and then closed its jaws over it as gently as it could. The captain smiled wide and rubbed the wolf's muzzle with his gloved hand. "That's a good boy, Bigbad. How about another one?"

Bigbad wagged his tail and Selvina giggled as she watched the captain take another piece of meat from the bag Jack held and then fed it to the wolf. Bigbad took it gingerly and nuzzled the captain's chest with his large muzzle. Captain Hook scratched behind the wolf's ear and laughed.

Red burst onto the scene then, her eyes bulging and her face pale. "Is everything ok?"

Captain Hook nodded. "Aye, lass, all is well. You've got yourself a fine beast here. I just thought he'd like some chicken."

"You could have just given it to him!"

Captain Hook nodded. "Indeed, I could have, but if he wants to remain on my ship he needs to follow the rules and know how to behave."