Chapter 16: The Mirror

Still recovering from the kiss, Selvina and Jack stared into one another's eyes for several minutes with grins on their faces. Selvina's skin was flushed and a rush of ecstatic energy pulsed throughout her body. It was unlike anything she had felt before and she never wanted it to end.

"We should probably get some sleep," Jack said quietly, his voice barely above a whisper, saying words she did not want to hear but knew she needed to. "I wouldn't want Beast to tear us to pieces."

"No," Selvina breathed, her chest still heaving, her heart still pumping madly. "I wouldn't want that..." She had never noticed how truly handsome Jack was. He had always been attractive but as she looked upon him now she felt like she was seeing him in a new light, as if he was someone she had always longed to see.

His arms pulled her in, hugging her against him, and she rested her ear against his chest. She could hear and feel his heart beating and smiled when she noticed it was beating faster than hers. Could this mean that he felt the same way about her that she did of him? Was his body gripped in a blanket of tingling explosions too? She took a deep breath and wrapped her arms around him, holding him close, just as he did with her. She never wanted him to let go.

"Selvina."

Damn it. Just a little longer...

"I don't want this moment to end either but we do need to sleep at one point."

Selvina sighed. "I know, Jack." It was more difficult than she ever anticipated but she managed to pull away and even accomplished a step back. She rubbed an arm bashfully and took a deep breath. "I guess, goodnight, Jack..." She paused, thought of something, and then added, "But you never said what you wanted to tell me..."

Jack chuckled and his eyes glittered. Don't do that, Jack... she thought. He took a step toward her and leaned forward. Selvina's body's warmed at his approach and she closed her eyes for a moment as he kissed her forehead. "Actions sometimes speak louder than words," he said before turning and walking away. She watched him bend down and climb down the hatch and before his head had vanished he glanced at her. He flashed a smile, which she returned, and then disappeared.

Selvina stood at the top of the tower by herself for a few minutes, slowly recovering from her kiss. She blushed as she wondered how Jack would react when she told him it had been her first one. Maybe she wouldn't tell him. It was too embarrassing. Jack had probably kissed a hundred girls before her. He said he hadn't met many but what was many to him? Selvina then began to wonder if he'd think less of her when knowing that. Would he think her cute and innocent and not someone to be taken seriously? She didn't want that. She also didn't want to hide things from him. She felt like she could tell Jack anything now. She had trusted him before but that kiss had ignited something within her heart and soul, something she had never felt in her life until now. Her mind was filled with visions of Jack's face. She saw him clearly, as if he still stood before her, and could still smell him. She closed her eyes and pressed her lips together, still feeling his, so warm, moist, and yet rough and strong. She inhaled deeply and exhaled with a sigh of pure joy. Was this how the princesses in her books felt after kissing their prince? It had to be. She didn't know how much happier she could become.

It took several more minutes of bliss and delight before Selvina's body brought her back to reality by forcing out a long yawn. She nodded and walked toward the hatch. It was time for some sleep. As she climbed down the ladder she grew eager to jump into her bed, wondering what wonderful dreams she would experience. Surely they would be amazing ones.

She strode down the spiral staircase and entered the keep, stepping into dim light and total silence. Torches lined the halls, offering her decent light, but all chandeliers and candles were out and she didn't hear a single sound. Was she the only one awake?