Chapter 12: The Cathedral of Our Lady

As predicted, two days later, in the late afternoon, Jolly Roger was moored into the expansive dockyard of the city of Our Lady. The kingdom of Frenis, as told by Captain Hook, was old and held much history. It was ruled by King Charming and was home to Faeryum's strongest army. The war between King Midas and Empress Rhiannon had not come to Frenis's shores though both sides had negotiated for an alliance. King Charming had declined both offers and remained neutral. It had put him in disfavor with both nations but little had come of it. His kingdom was the strongest and was rich in resources so both Empress Rhiannon and King Midas had continued trading with it.

There was tension in the air, however, as Captain Hook, Sinbad, Jack, Selvina, Cindy, Red and Bigbad disembarked from the ship and stepped foot on the dockyard. Long lines of soldiers marched through the streets beyond and dark clouds hovered overhead, pregnant with rain that had yet to fall. Knights on horseback patrolled the area and kept order.

"War is brewing," Sinbad said forlornly. "The rumors were true, then."

Selvina turned to him. "What rumors? This is the first I hear about a war."

As Captain Hook spoke to an approaching dockhand Sinbad glanced about cautiously, as if speaking was against the law. He then lowered his face to Selvina and said quietly, "Back in Tortug I heard from some of the sailors that the kingdoms across the sea were preparing for war. Empress Rhiannon was gathering a grand army and King Stephen had ordered larger and more frequent shipments of arms and military supplies. Far to the south, in my homeland of Sauradia, Sultan Ali Baba was also gathering forces and amassing a vast army of elephants and golems. The old sultan rarely wars with any nation as his desert kingdom is dangerous enough to keep away most invaders but if he and the kingdom of Frenis itself are preparing for war something dire is indeed afoot."

Red, who had listened in, inquired. "Who are they at war with?"

Sinbad shrugged. "This I do not know. All I know is that merchants are now shipping more military supplies than anything else."

"Kind Midas didn't seem concerned with any war," Selvina said with a furrowed brow.

"King Midas is a fool. He is a decent enough man but the only thing that saved his kingdom from Empress Rhiannon's armies was the ocean separating their nations."

"Sinbad," Captain Hook called out. "Bring Jolly Roger into the drydock. She is going to need extensive repairs once again and I have just enough funds to pay for it all." He sighed. "When she is fit to sail we will need to acquire merchant contracts in order to pay for any supplies we need. I fear I may have to ration the food and postpone the crew's wages... They will not like it."

Sinbad nodded. "I will talk to them, captain. Perhaps some of them can find work here in Our Lady in the meantime to help gather funds for the ship."

Captain Hook nodded. "Good idea. See that it is done, quartermaster." He then set his gaze on the girls. "I am sorry but our stay here in Frenis may be longer than anticipated. I will secure rooms for you all at the finest inn I can afford but you may have to eventually acquire your own funds to pay for food. Peter Pan has severely damaged my ship and I had only just repaired it..."

Selvina offered him an encouraging smile. "It's ok, captain. I know that I can't get back home without your ship so if we have to stay here for a while as it gets fixed that's fine. My friends and family are probably worried out of their minds about me right now but I know I'll return to them eventually." She glanced at Red, Cindy, and Jack and smiled a little wider. "This world isn't so bad. I could do without Peter Pan and his pirates but for the most part it's quite nice."