Chapter 5: Sinbad the Sailor

Hurrying after the captain, Red and Selvina hopped on Bigbad's back and charged through the crowds. The huge wolf made quick progress as very few people wanted to block his way. An ogre growled at him as they passed him by but other than that there were no other hostile reactions.

The wolf slowed to a walk as he reached the captain and the girls looked up at Jolly Roger at the end of the pier they were walking along. Floating perpendicular to their position the large frigate was bustling with activity. Dozens of men ran along its length and secured ropes, finished loading crates, checked the conditions of the sails, examined the rudder, scrubbed and mopped the deck and cleaned the cannons. One man stood on the pier before the ship with his hands on his hips. He was bare-chested with a chiseled and lean body, olive skin, white leggings, a red sash around his waist, no footwear of any kind, and a red turban wrapped around his head. Two scimitars hung at his sides and a great grin stretched across his cleanly shaven face, save for a small, trimmed bread that shadowed his upper lip and curved down around his mouth and covered his chin. He was young, fit, and could compete and possibly win against Captain Hook in a contest of the most devilishly handsome man around.

"Welcome back, captain," the man said. "Was Wendy as beautiful as always?"

Captain Hook nodded. "Aye, that she was, Sinbad."

The younger man looked over the captain's shoulder at the wolf and two girls riding it. "You have followers, sir."

Captain Hook sighed. "I am quite aware of that."

"Offering a tour of old Jolly Roger? I didn't know we had time for that."

"We don't..." Captain Hook glanced back at the girls atop the large wolf. "They are in fact coming with us."

Sinbad lost his grin and raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me, captain? Did you just say that they are coming aboard with you, me, and the crew?"

Captain Hook eyed Sinbad directly, his brows furrowed. "Yes, they are, Quartermaster. Is there a problem?"

"They're somewhat young, don't you think?"

"No younger than Jack."

"Aye, little Jack would be about their age but the lad can climb masts and sails better than anyone else on the crew. The boy has use and skill. What could these two offer us?"

Selvina frowned in frustration at Sinbad's words and jumped off Bigbad. She stomped over him and stuck a finger in his face. "I am not useless! I have every right to be on that ship!"

Sinbad chuckled at her ferocity. "She's a feisty one, isn't she? Tell me, green eyes, what exactly can you do to help the crew? Can you tie a knot? Can you climb without hesitation? Can you load powder and lift cannonball? Perhaps you have a keen eye and can spot land from miles away. Tell me, what can you do?"

Selvina didn't stop frowning. "I can't do some of those things and I don't know about others because I've never done them before but I can cook and I can clean and...I can act!"

"Oh, so she's an actress! How lovely! It's just what a crew of pirate hunters needs."

"Don't mock me! I'll help if that's what you need of me. Just give me a chance to."

Sinbad sighed and crossed his arms over his bare chest. He glanced sidelong at Captain Hook. "Cookie's meals are indeed only marginally better tasting than slop. Some days I wonder how we survive on that mud he calls food."

Captain Hook nodded knowingly. "Aye, the man is getting old. I've had the displeasure of watching him clean pots with his bare hands after only just using them to scratch an itch in an area I don't wish to mention. I believe it's about time he finds himself a seaside cottage and lives out the rest of his days in peace."