Chapter 15: ...and the Beast

After failing to convince Belle to reconsider her decision, the four travellers made their way up one of the crenellated towers and stood on its uncovered top, looking down at the valley and forest beyond. Cindy and Red soon retired for the night and only Jack and Selvina remained.

For several minutes none of them said a word until Jack looked up at the sky and said, "The stars are so bright tonight. I like looking at them. Some nights on the Jolly Roger I'll climb up to the crow's nest and just watch them until I fall asleep. There's so much mystery about them."

Selvina, still looking down at the valley, said, "There's no mystery. They're huge balls of burning gas in space, millions if not billions of miles away. They're just like our sun, that's it. There's no mystery, Jack." She glanced at him briefly and saw his expression change, almost to one of hurt. It filled her with a feeling of satisfaction but also pain. She didn't understand why she felt that way but Jack shut up and that's all she wanted out of it.

After more silent minutes passed Selvina finally decided to get to bed. Other than Jack everyone else was asleep and she had no intention of being around him for too long. Her hand still burned from the slap she had given him, a stinging reminder of the physical pain she had given him. He had deserved it, she told herself. He had been inconsiderate and had played around for too long.

"Selvina," he said quietly.

"Goodnight, Jack." She had enough of him. She was tired, frustrated, and still angry with him. She needed a good rest. When turning around, she suddenly noticed a figure standing atop the hatch that would take her below. It was large, tall, muscular, and did not appear human. It had fur across its whole body, short spikes on its shoulders, the side of its body and face and had long silver hair that extended halfway down its back. Its eyes glowed with their own white light and it narrowed them when she noticed it. Selvina backed up against the nearest crenel and gulped down a small fraction of her rising fear. She knew this was Beast but he was much more fearsome than she had imagined.

"Trespassers," Beast growled. His voice sounded like a rockslide in a roaring hurricane.

"N-No," Selvina sputtered as Jack turned around. "Belle allowed us to stay the night. We will be gone early in the morning."

"That still makes you trespassers."

Jack took a foolish step forward. "This castle isn't even yours, Beast, as I assume that's who you are. You just took it over because you had nowhere else to go."

Beast growled and it made Jack back away. "Your insolence puts you in danger, boy. You should treat your host with more respect."

Jack frowned. "Or what, you'll eat me?"

"If the situation calls for it, I may."

Jack opened his mouth to retort but Selvina smacked his arm.

"Shut up, Jack!" she hissed at him. "This is no way to talk to someone who's letting us sleep in their home."

"This isn't his home, Selvina!" Jack pointed a sturdy finger at Beast. "You just came here to hide. You're nothing but a co-" Selvina's hand blocked his mouth as she wrapped an arm from behind and pulled him aside.

"Damn it, Jack, do you want to die or what?" she scolded. "What's gotten into you?"

Jack wrenched himself free from Selvina's grasp and scowled. "Since when do you care about me? I thought you might like to see Beast rip me to shreds."

"Jack, you're an idiot! I don't want to see that!"

"You could have fooled me."

"SILENCE!"