Eli Goldsworthy Moving On ~6~

Eli ignored the screams of the cheering kids and the pain in his hand as he and Jake continued to fight, until Eli felt a hand grab his fist. It wasn’t one of the man hands trying to pull him off, but a small gentle hand. Eli stopped and allowed himself to be pulled away as he looked into those green-brown eyes.

Serena pushed Jake and yelled, “Bug off, Jerk-Face.”

Claire looked at Serena sadly. “Serena, I was just trying to help.”

“Thanks, Claire, but I don’t need help,” Serena said, Eli could tell she was trying to be nice, but she didn’t exactly succeed.

Serena grabbed Eli’s hand and walked around the school to where the basketball courts were. She leaned him against the wall and examined his cuts and bruises. He had a bruise on his left cheek, a busted lip, and a bloody nose.

Serena went into her backpack, pulled out tissues and a water bottle, then began cleaning his wounds. Eli noticed the way Serena clenched her jaw as she cleaned up his face. “Are you okay?” Eli asked.

Serena started rubbing a little too hard.

“Ow!” Eli grabbed her hands and held her close. “What’s your problem?”

“Let go!” Serena said, attempting to pull away.

“Serena?”

“You liar!” Serena suddenly burst out. “You jerk! I thought you were different!”

Eli stood there stunned. What the hell was she talking about. “What?”

“You fought over her. You and that boy were fighting for her. You told me you were ready to move on from her. You obviously don’t!” Serena pulled her wrist from Eli’s grasp then picked up her bag. “Later,” she mumbled, then she ran off.

*

Serena avoided Eli for the weekend and Mondday, or at least tried. She walked with her brother, to every class. In the class before Honors English, American Cultures for Eli, an announcement was made over the loud speaker by Mr. Simpson.

“Jake Martin, Eli Goldsworthy, and Serena Arnold please report to the principal’s office,” said his voice over the intercom. “Jake Martin, Eli Goldsworthy, and Serena Arnold please report to the principal’s office.”

Eli stood and walked out of the class room, without even getting a pass. He knew Mr. Simpson only wanted to see them to talk about the fight, but why was Serena involved?

Eli was the first to arrive. He sat in front of Mr. Simpson. “Hello, sir.”

“Eli,” the principal responded in way of greeting. “Just wait for Jake and Serena before we begin.” They sat there silently while waiting. Jake came first and took the seat farthest from Eli. Serena came in last, she was forced to sit in the middle of the two boys.

“The security cameras caught the fight between the three of you,” Mr. Simpson began.

Before he could continue, Eli said, “Serena wasn’t in the fight.”

“I can speak for myself, Eli, thank you,” Serena said, looking at him coldly. “I wasn’t in the fight!”

“Did you not push Jake?” Mr. Simpson asked.

“Yeah, but –”

“Then you’re in trouble as well, detention every day after school for the next two months. If it was during the school day, you’d be suspended. Your parents have been called, Serena your father is outside, he wants to speak with you.”

From the look on Serena’s face, the group could tell she wasn’t excited to see her father.

Serena stood and quickly walked outside. The boys followed her exit.

“Serena!” Her father said, obviously angry. “We’ve talked about this. Not even a month and I’m getting called to school for fighting, and a boy nonetheless. I’m really disappointed in you.”

“Aren’t you always?” Serena asked, venomously.

“Serena, don’t put this on me. I have every reason to –”

“No, you don’t! Just leave me alone!”

“Serena Jasmine Michaela Arnold, I am your father and you will treat me with respect. I swear, ever since your mother’s –” Mr. Arnold stopped himself.

“Go ahead, Dad, say it. Ever since mother’s what?” Serena challenged.

“Serena,” Mr. Arnold started, tiredly.

“You know what? You don’t have to deal with me being trouble anymore!” Serena yelled. “Bye,” she mumbled, walking away.