❖ Chapter Ten

[dedicated to Abhi who makes me feel confident about my writing]

CHAPTER TEN

The music pounded loud in my ears as I thrust my body to the beat. I had taken a couple of vodka shots and paired them with a bottle of beer before I had headed to the dance floor and began to dance. The moment Alastair and I had stepped into the nightclub he had disappeared and jealousy had coursed in me when the thought of him hooking up with some random girl for the two hours he promised to spare on my behalf at the nightclub. But he had reappeared after an hour and kept me company when I began to drown more alcoholic liquids down my throat, letting the cool liquid burn and leave me hazy.

"Genevieve, that is more than enough," he said before he pushed the glass away from me and grabbed both my hands in his, an electric buzz sizzling at the skin he touched, when I made an attempt to reach back for the glass quite angrily. Who did he think he was to tell me to stop drinking? I wasn't even drunk yet, I had thought bitterly even if in my subconscious I knew otherwise.

After fighting against him for a few seconds I instantly gave up and slumped into my seat. Just as Alastair had begun to let go of my hands, I slipped them up his arms, trailing them slowly and seductively as best as I could. I didn't know what had come over me but the thrilling thought of making Alastair respond to my advances made me giddy. From the instant I had laid my eyes upon Alastair Ignacio I knew that I was attracted to him but I had fought against my attraction because it wasn't right. Now, with all the alcohol in my system, it seemed like that cloud of doubt that hovered over my mind constantly was very ridiculous.

Alastair's grey eyes darkened, the muscles in his arms hardening at my touch. "What are you doing?" he asked, his silvery voice hoarse. I didn't know if it was my drunken haze or not, but I found that attractive.

We were seated in one of the few booths that aligned the lowly dimmed corner of the nightclub. "Oh, come on, Alastair," I slurred, bringing my hands around his neck and pushing my face and body close to his so that I could feel his heated gaze and his body heat that kissed at my open skin. "Have a little fun."

But before I could do anything else, he had removed me from him and was dragging me away from the nightclub. The nightclub breezed past in a blur and when I stepped out into the open the fresh air hit me right in the face and I felt the cold wind brush against the naked skin on my arms. He was walking fast, pulling me along and the only thing that I could think of as I stumbled after him as he led the way to his Jeep, was how much I liked his hand in mine. It sent chilling ripples down my spine and it made my heart feel warm and made my stomach do this crazy thing like it was doing backflips or somersaulting, I couldn't tell which.

We reached his Jeep and before Alastair could open the passenger door for me, I laid my hand on his arm and pushed him against the door. "Alastair," I said, as I drew near and lowered my eyes, peering at him through my lashes.

His eyes grew an attractive, appreciative colour of grey. I felt my heart thundering in my ears as I drew closer to him, bringing my hand up to his chest. His chest was hard beneath my hand and I could feel the thumping of his heart beneath my fingers and that was all it took to convince me that Alastair was not as cool, collected and unresponsive as his facial expression said so. I brought my arms around him, slipping them around his neck and into his dark hair that felt soft through my fingers, tickling my fingers slightly, before I pulled his face closer to mine and closed my eyes, sighing when his hot breath hit my face.

"Genevieve," he said, almost pleadingly, his voice deep and hoarse, and I opened my eyes to see his very alluring grey dark eyes were fixed on me. His hands came up to my waist, his touch sizzling through the thin silk material of my my t-shirt that I had washed over at the stay at the hotel, and making my body heat up, sending pleasurable chills through my body.