♚ Chapter Sixteen

[dedicated to Ella, for the lovely cover in the multimedia section] 

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

It was pitch black and I was not able to see a single thing. I peered all around me as panic overwhelmed me, the blackness clouding every point of my vision. I looked up and down, here and there, from right to left - they were all futile attempts. The only thing that I was able to see was this black tenebrosity that had the capability to arouse panic within me.

I tried to stay calm, to breathe in and to breathe out, but I couldn't. Seeing nothing but this pitch black wasn't helping and the harder I tried to make my heart still, to stop beating frantically against my ribcage, to not be afraid - the more I became terrified.

"Genevieve," a voice called out urgently and I turned my head swiftly, eyes scanning the endless pit of my black surroundings. And then my eyes landed on a man, his dark skin glinting brilliantly in the darkness, his slightly purple tinted lips set into a deep frown, his grey eyes pleading and caring. "You need to come with me. He will not rest until he has you," said the man with the strangely appealing silvery voice.

I trusted him. I didn't know how or why but I did and that slightly frightened me. Did I know this man from somewhere? I squinted at the man that stood several of metres away from me and studied him but none of his features were familiar. His voice though. I felt like I had heard it before, when and from where I was not aware of, but one thing was certain; I trusted this man for a reason and that was because his intention was never to bring me harm but to protect me and bring me to safety. I froze, my blood going cold and not with fear for the man but with with fear for how exactly I attained this knowledge when the man didn't even remotely look familiar.

His words processed in my mind and I stared at the man ahead of me, my mind whizzing with frantic thoughts, "he will not rest until he has me? What is that supposed to mean?"

"I have no time to explain," he said, his silvery voice underlined with a more forced urgent tone. His silvery gaze skimmed over my head and the swirl of grey in his eyes were instantly seized with panic and fear. Quickly, he glanced at me. "Quick, we have to go. Now!"

I turned my head slightly, curious of what had caused such tremor and panic but then his voice was sharp, the silvery voice cutting through the thicket of blackness, "No, Princess!" And when I turned to look back at the man, curious and confused and concerned, he wasn't there. Panic immediately engulfed me and I swallowed the lump in my throat as I looked frantically ahead, looking for the man with the enticing grey eyes and alluring slightly purple tinted lips.

Slowly, as the fear built up within me and I inhaled and exhaled to ease the anxiousness, I turned slowly and when my eyes met a pair of green one's my breath caught in my throat. Those green eyes glistened with wickedness and malice, cruelty and evil and it terrified me that those very striking green eyes were exactly the same as mine. "Niece," he snarled, his glowing green eyes that showed how much he hated me was all that I could see in this darkness, the rest of his body hidden - protected - by the black tenebrosity that surrounded me, trapped me. "Oh, what a delight it will be to finally meet you."

My heart beat loudly in my ears from all the fright that had begun consuming me and I whirled on my feet, willing every muscle in my legs to move but the minute I turned around and stared ahead, those very malicious green eyes that looked so alike to mine stared back at me, amused by my actions. "Run all you want, Genevieve," he sneered, a tone of humour coated his thick, deep and sharp voice, "I will catch you."