♚ Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Marcus handed me two small bottles that were both transparent and showed a milky white liquid in one of the small bottles and a pale red liquid in the other small bottle. I watched the Royal healer do his work, mesmerised. What ever he had done to my leg and whatever he had given me soothed the ache that was slowly killing me and after he had done his work, after the pain that resided in my leg and throughout my body had lessened immensely I was left speechless as I stared at Marcus in surprise and awe.

"Is something the matter, your Highness?" Marcus asked, the smile disappearing as worry became evident on his face.

"Oh no," I said instantly, a smile taking over my lips. "It's just...what you just did now. That's great work and wow," - I chuckled when words failed me at that moment - "I'm sort of a little speechless."

Marcus's wry lips turned up into a smile. "Ah," he said, his face lighting up. "You find healing interesting?"

"Well, whatever you just did was fascinating so yeah, it's interesting," I replied and then furrowed my eyebrows when his lips broke out into a full blown grin, and his dark brown eyes gleamed with amusement.

"Like father, like daughter," he commented, still smiling, and just like that, with those words uttered by him, the light and carefree atmosphere that enveloped my room lifted and changed into a heavier atmosphere. Marcus' smile slipped off his face and a frown replaced the smile that played at his lips and his forehead creased - I wasn't sure whether it was because of concern or confusion - when he took one glance at my face. "Did I say something to upset you?" he asked, his voice gentle.

I was just about to shake my head when he said, "Ah, I see. You don't quite like your father, do you?" After the question escaped his mouth, he peered at me through those curious brown eyes of his. For an old man, Marcus was handsome. While his youth was slowly disappearing, grey hairs taking the place of black hairs, he managed to look happy, joyous and highly spirited. I didn't reply to his question because I knew that whatever excuse flew out of my mouth he wouldn't believe it. I didn't know Marcus at all but what I had gathered from the session he had scheduled with me this morning was that he was curious, always questioning and gave you that doubting look like he knew better. When he asked me how I was feeling at the beginning of our session, I lied. I told him that I was aching a bit but I was okay. But he saw through that and told me that yes, he knew that I was physically okay but emotionally okay? That I wasn't.

"Your father isn't a bad man, Princess," Marcus said after a pause. "He might have not been as brawn as his brother but he was smart, and he still is, and smartness is what makes a person brave, not brawn."

When I didn't reply to his wise words, he offered me a tight lipped smile before he stood up and approached the foot of my bed which I was resting on. I could barely feel my legs and while I was certain that I still had the ability to walk - Marcus proved that I did - it would take me a few more hours or perhaps the rest of the day to regain most of my lost strength.

Marcus packed his equipment, sealed his bag and moved towards the door and that was when I called out his name, fidgeting slightly because what I was about to say wasn't going to be easy. "Marcus?" I called out, my voice not loud but quiet enough to get his attention. The softness that laced my voice hinted that I had something somewhat important to say.

He turned his head, his hand on the handle while the other hand clutched his bag that was secure on his shoulder, he asked, "yes, my lady?"

"Thank you."