Chapter 2

Five years earlier...

Georgia watched the house grow larger and larger as they approached. She had no clue that anyone but the British Royals had houses this large in the heart of London.

She had worked for Diana Mailler for over six months. When Diana had announced her engagement, she had been quickly called back to her home in London from New York, and she had told Georgia to pack her bag.

More than willing to go with her, Georgia did as she was bid and arrived in London beside Diana.

"I can't believe that he's called me home like a child. I'm an adult. I have the right to come and go as I please." Diana pouted in a way only a nineteen-year-old could.

Georgia had her doubts, but it was not her place to disagree with her employer. In fact, she thought the call home was just in time. It would save the young girl a lot of grief since it was obvious her fiancé was only after her money.

"Wait until you meet my brother, Ewan. He is a total brute with absolutely no feeling whatsoever. He never laughs or jokes. I can't even remember that last time I saw him smile. I think it was before he was in the military."

"He was in the military?" Georgia's husband had been in the Army, and he had died while serving overseas.

"Yes, I was little at the time, so I don't remember it very well. After my father died, he finally came home, but he wasn't the same Ewan I remembered as a girl. Most people are afraid of him."

"Are you?" Georgia looked at the beautiful young girl. She had silky blond hair, light brown eyes, and she was a petite five foot. She looked like a little doll.

Diana frowned as she thought about it. "Yes, I think I am, or else I wouldn't be returning home." She pointed at the large house that now loomed in front of them. "Maybe if he got married, that would soften him a little." Diana giggled. "I don't think there is a woman who would be brave enough, despite all of his money."

"You'd be surprised what people would do for money, Miss Diana," Georgia said dryly, thinking of the long string of boyfriends the young girl had had over the past six months.

Diana led the way up the front steps, stopping in front of a man in the entry hall.

"Parks," she greeted coldly, taking off her coat. "Georgia, this is Craig Parks, my brother's personal assistant. Craig, this is Georgia Dawson, my personal assistant," Diana stressed the 'my' in the last sentence.

If Craig Parks was surprised, he hid it well.

"Ms. Dawson."

"Mr. Parks." Georgia nodded.

There was a movement in front of them on the stairs, and Georgia looked right into a pair of deeply assessing whiskey-colored eyes. There was no friendly greeting or welcome in them. They were emotionless, as was the rest of his face, but what a face.

His sharp, well-defined jaw had a bit of a late afternoon shadow on it, and his sharp nose and cheekbones were somewhat softened by a full mouth that, at the moment, was pressed into a thin line as his eyes moved past her to Diana.

His light sandy brown hair was cut to fall in perfect waves, and she had never seen such broad shoulders on a man before. He owned his space, and there was an aura of power that followed behind him. He was one of those rare people with magnetism. Everybody in the room was immediately drawn to his energy.

"Diana," his clipped English accent greeted.

"Ewan," she returned.

It was extremely evident that there was no love lost between them as they sized up each other.