Chapter 19

That evening Georgia was in the kitchen having her supper with Ms. Levitt, Mrs. Charles, and Ruth when Ewan entered in a storm of fury. One look at him and Georgia knew that, if not handled quickly, there would be a yelling match. He wore the same look as the night he had confronted her at Sylvia's home.

Georgia eyed Ms. Levitt and Mrs. Charles to see what their reactions to Ewan were and they were both careful to avoid eye contact as they focused on their dinner. Georgia sipped her tea slowly setting down the cup before turning towards Ewan, her face one of composed calmness, a calmness that she wasn't feeling.

"Was there something you needed Mr. Mailler?" She rose carrying her dishes to the sink.

"What the hell have you been telling Moria, I have spent the last half hour listening to her lay into me about something but I'm not quite sure as to what it is?" His voice was a low growl.

"I simply explained a few things, what to expect now that she was in your home, and how in your home you are Mr. Mailler." Her hands shook as she set the dishes in the sink, not wanting to turn around, she took her time wiping them on a towel but eventually she had to turn back towards him. "I wouldn't worry about it sir, it's probably just hormones."

He didn't say anything he just eyed her, letting his gaze do all the reprimanding, but she refused to cave as the tension in the room grew.

"You'll be at dinner." It was a command not a question,

"I've had mine thanks." She motioned to the dishes on the stove; she swore she heard Ruth give a little squeak as Ewan's face grew even more ominous.

"Well that was dumb." He drawled as he crossed his arms and made his stance wide. He was digging in and she knew she would lose in the end.

Georgia's humor surfaced and her lip twitched. "Yes, I suppose it was."

She couldn't help but let her gaze wander across his massive chest. He had lost his jacket and undone his tie, an unusual look for Ewan outside his private office, he had even rolled up his sleeves and the muscles in his forearms rolled as he clenched and unclenched his fists. She let her gaze wander up to his face, he looked exhausted.

It was so good to see him she forgot about their audience. "You look tired Ewan," she said softly.

"I am, woman, so stop fighting me and get ready for dinner," He stated flatly.

"And have Diana raise a fuss, and let's not mention the looks I'll get from the lovely Isobel and Renee. No, I don't think so," she said softly.

"Fine, let's not mention it and why the hell is Isobel here?" He paused closing his eyes reining in his temper.

"Isobel was made aware that a few of your close friends had arrived and she decided to join the dinner party." Georgia could guess at the reason. The woman had been around a lot lately, she claimed it was to spend time with Diana but everyone knew she was trying to win Ewan, everyone except Ewan.

"Please Georgia, not for me but for them. They're already uncomfortable as it is, I have a feeling that a dinner without your lovely and friendly face would make Moria go into labor early." Ewan changed tactics mid stride. If brute force wouldn't work maybe gentle coercion would.

"Flattery will get you nowhere Mr. Mailler."

"How about a kiss Ms. Dawson? Where will that get me?" He let his gaze wander down to her lips and this time she knew she heard Ruth sigh.

"Damn you Ewan, you shouldn't let a pregnant woman do your dirty work."

"Whatever it takes my love."

"Let me see what I can do. Ms. Levitt, Mrs. Charles and I will think of something to make dinner more relaxed but it will mean moving dinner back half an hour."