Chapter 13

Georgia was sitting on her porch swing, listening to the surf on the other side of the dunes. The nearest house was at least one hundred yards away and she was cloaked in gentle silence. Her mug of tea had grown cold long ago as she laid staring up at the moonlight.

She had a roast in the oven but couldn't be bothered to check it. She knew if she didn't move soon she would probably fall asleep on the swing and not be fit for anything in the morning, when she needed to put on a good show.

Pushing herself up, she swung her legs to the ground just as a set of headlights crossed her porch. A car drew into the drive. Blinking against the sudden brightness, she was glad when the lights were turned off allowing her to see again.

She didn't recognize the expensive Land Rover and stayed where she was, reaching for her phone on the small table next to her. As the driver's door opened and a figure emerged she stopped breathing.

It was Ewan. Her senses on high alert she rose and moved towards the edge of the porch just above the steps without even thinking about her movements. Georgia's body craved his nearness; had missed it for too long.

He slowly closed the car door and walked towards her, his eyes never leaving hers.

How long they stood there without speaking she couldn't say. It could have been seconds or minutes but she didn't want to break the moment, afraid that it wasn't real.

"Georgia," he said, his accent thick and his voice rough.

"Ewan." She licked her suddenly dry lips and his gaze followed the movement.

"I was just about to have my dinner. Would you care to join me?" She motioned with her head to the house behind her.

Not saying a word, he gave her a brief nod.

Georgia forced herself to turn away from him and enter the house.

He kept his distance as he sat at the bar and watched her open the oven and take out the meal. Her hands trembled as she lifted the pot onto the stove top. Feeling his eyes on her and knowing she didn't look her best she cleared her throat. "There's wine in the fridge if you want a glass."

Taking the hint he rose. 'Would you like some?"

"No thanks. There is a pitcher of ice tea, I'll have some of that please."

The situation was surreal as they both made polite chit-chat like it wasn't odd that he had appeared on her doorstep from out of nowhere.

Georgia cursed under her breath rushing towards the sink and putting her hand under the cold water when she suddenly broke the pot she was using and burned her hand. She hoped the tears on her face would be mistaken for pain from the burn and not relief that he was there in front of her when she thought she would never see him in her house again.

"Why are you here Ewan?" she asked, her voice cracking.

"The note in my room?" He moved slowly towards her, taking her hand and looking at the red mark that the dish had left behind. His touch made her breath catch and she had to clear her throat.

"What note, in what room?"

"I didn't think you had left it. It wasn't your handwriting." He moved away after looking at the burn and determining it wasn't that bad.

Frustrated that he hadn't answered either question and was standing in front of her all cool and collected, she pushed away from the counter. "What did the note say, and if you knew I didn't write it, why did you come?" She tried again but he wasn't interested in the note.

"What did you say to Diana?" He handed her a glass of tea and moved towards the bar changing the subject, but at least now she knew why he had come, to talk about Diana.