Chapter 17

The next morning Georgia was back in the kitchen downing a cup of coffee in an attempt to up her energy level. She had slept poorly just as she had ever since Ewan had left her earlier that week.  It was amazing how accustomed one could become to having a warm body sleeping beside them every night.

Shortly after her arrival, Ruth entered and wordlessly started to help her prepare bacon, eggs, and other breakfast sides. It was a full house and the food would have to be kept warm on the sideboard until everyone had had their share.  Half an hour later Candy and Cameron showed up and started to prepare tea for the ladies, Carrie included.

Georgia started the preparations for lunch and was just about done when Ms. Levitt joined them with tears of gratitude. Georgia hugged her assured her all was well then excused herself to prepare for the early morning meeting with Ewan.

She took in her appearance, watching her hand tremble as they placed her glasses on her nose. "Here we go again. Try not to jump him Georgia." She grinned to herself. She had done this before she should be able to do it again.

But that was before you knew he loved you. Her heart lifted at the thought. No matter what she had that.

She knocked on the door and was greeted by a frowning Craig. "You're late." He said as he stood aside.

"Please come in Ms. Dawson," Ewan greeted, motioning towards a chair off to one side. The two chairs directly in front of his desk were reserved for Craig and Carrie, and Carrie was sitting serenely in hers, not a hair out of place.

Georgia took the chair crossing her legs at the ankle and settling into the deep plushness. It was divine to take her weight off her feet and she closed her eyes in relief. It had been a long time since she had spent so long on them and she was paying for it today.

"Comfortable Ms. Dawson?" Ewan asked,leaning back into his chair tapping his pen on the desk.

"Sorry, was I that obvious?" She smiled.  "My feet are a little sore."

"Why don't you fill us in Ms. O'Dell," Ewan said, never taking his eyes off Georgia. Georgia met his gaze unflinchingly.

Carrie started to fill Ewan in on the facts; Ms. Levitt's wound, how she had solved the problem by finding Georgia, how she had made sure that Miss. Diana was kept happy, there were lots of details involving just how helpful and resourceful she had been.

"And how is Ms. Levitt?" He took his gaze off of Georgia and looked directly at Carrie who stuttered that she wasn't sure, then he turned to Craig his gaze hard, expecting him to answer and when he had to admit that he wasn't sure he turned to Georgia.

"She's good. Breakfast was served and lunch preparations made, Ruth will be by her side today and if she feels that it's too much Mrs. Charles has agreed to help."

"Who handled breakfast and lunch?" Ewan's face was its usual mask.

"I did Mr. Mailler, as well as lunch and dinner yesterday."

"It's a good thing you're a trained Chef then, isn't it?"

"Yes sir, it came in handy." Georgia kept her face calm; at least he hadn't called her a cook.

"Now about this party Carrie, where are we so that Ms. Dawson can take over the planning?"

Carrie spent what felt like forever going over the details and after fifteen minutes Georgia could take it no longer. "Perhaps Ms. O'Dell and I can meet on this first and then bring it back to you when it is better planned," she suggested.

Ewan just nodded he had let his gaze wander to his computer during Carrie's detailed monologue and was typing something. "Thank you Ms. O'Dell, Ms. Dawson please stay." Carrie stood with a perplexed look on her face as if she had missed something.