Chapter 23

Georgia was silent on the car ride back to the house. Moria, Collin, and Ewan carried on the conversation without her having to add much.  Ewan had been discreetly texting on his phone since Isobel had left the table so there must be something happening. Georgia prayed that it wasn't Isobel's father trying to squash the deal, but there was no way that Georgia could find out without letting Ewan know about her conversation with Isobel in the ladies restroom and she wouldn't do that.

She had decided to finish her job, tomorrow she headed to the country and would be well out of the way, then she would return home, resign from her job with Sylvia, and move somewhere else.  There was no way she could use the reference that Ewan had promised.  It would make it too easy for him to track her down. He had assured her he always got what he wanted and would stop at nothing to get it and she knew that it was true.  If he wanted her that bad he would make it happen in the end, no matter how hard she fought him.  Her best bet was to just disappear and make it impossible for him to find her.

While all of this was firm in her mind, she was upset that she had to even contemplate it. Ewan loved her and she loved him, why couldn't they just be together?

As the car drew up in front of the house they all got out and made their way into the hall. Goodnights were said and as Georgia moved to go up the stairs Ewan stopped her. "No, not yet. There's someone here to see you."

"Ewan, can't it wait until tomorrow. I really am exhausted."

"No you're not, your upset. Isobel said something to you and I have a fair idea what it was, but that's not what I want to talk to you about. Please, just give me a half an hour more, there is something that you need to know about us." He stood looking down at her, his face so serious and handsome. The part of her that still held hope wanted to believe that he had a way to make it work.

She nodded her consent and he didn't hesitate as he pulled her across the foyer and into the main sitting room.  There was a tea tray with cups and snacks on the table and Sylvia and her Aunt Priscilla were deep in discussion, but as Ewan opened the door they both rose from their seats. Priscilla smiled and moved to give her a hug while Sylvia hung back looking concerned.

Georgia stood there stunned, not lifting her arms or in any way returning her aunt's greeting.

"I think I'll leave you," Sylvia said quietly as she made for the door, stopping briefly to place her hand on Ewan's arm in a show of support.

It took a few moments but Georgia found her voice as she fell onto the settee behind her. "Aunt Priscilla, what on earth are you doing here?"

"Ewan and Sylvia asked me to come." Priscilla sat next to her looking at her for the first time, silently noting that she was very pale and had lost weight. The spark that was Georgia was gone. "Are you alright Georgia?" she asked, brushing Georgia's hair behind her ears just as she had done when she was a child.

"No Aunt Priscilla, I'm not." Her voice wavered but she didn't cry. "You see I love him but I can't have him, even though he wants me." She looked at Ewan who was standing very still in the middle of the room with his arms crossed. He had taken off his jacket and undone his tie.

"You're talking about Ewan?" Priscilla lifted her gaze from Georgia to look at Ewan.

"Is this true Ewan, do you want Georgia?"

"Yes, I want her very much but she has it stuck in her head that she won't fit into my world, that she won't be accepted. I've told her that I don't care, but she is insistent that eventually I will and that it will cause us to resent each other.

Priscilla nodded as she reached into her handbag. "Ewan do the names Chase and Mary Alexander mean anything to you?"

Georgia was startled by the sudden use of her parent's names.